top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 more weeks til I can file. I can't take these phone calls anymore!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 more weeks til I can file. I can't take these phone calls anymore!

I am so sick of my phone ringing off the hook. From 8:00 to 10:00 this morning 12 missed calls. On average I am getting 25 calls a day. Just getting really annoyed and needed to vent.

So, why not disconnect your phone? For one phone bill, you can purchase two Boost phones with 10 bucks of time. Ten cents a minute, and a $1.50 per day (if used) of a peeper. My wife and I use only the peeper. If a call is serious we have caller ID. We cut it short. Much better and all cash basis. Get used to all cash. If you cannot pay it does not work. NO BILLS. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I used google voice, and it saved me!
      Filed 1/31/11 341 3/2/11 Waiting for discharge........

Comment

My phone was ringing off the hook as well. I am not filed as of yet but I have an attorney on retainer. My attorney told me to give every single creditor that called me his information and he would speak to them. I have done this and the calls are stopping. I know there is no Automatic Stay in place as of yet so they are still allowed to call, however, his advice seems to be working. Before, I used to just ignore the calls, I turned the ringer off on my home phone so I wasn't disturbed. Anyone that really needed me could call my cell phone. If a collection company had my cell phone number, I was able to tell right away because my cell has caller ID. I also used a website called 800notes.com and looked up phone numbers to see who it was linked to.
        Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

I agree - stop answering the phone. However if it really just bothers you NOT to answer: record a message stating something to the effect of "you have reached Mr./Ms. XXX @ 555-1234 - please leave a msg. That way collectors know its you they've reached and wont call others hopefully.

Once you start getting things in the mail - follow the deadlines and do a validation letter until such time you can acquire your attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacey View Post
            Magic Jack works very well also. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Easy to stop if you don't mind doing a few letters. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, it is unlawful for a debt collector to continue contacting you after you tell him that you refuse to pay the debt or wish him to stop calling you. Send a letter along these lines:

"Please be advised that I do not wish to be contacted further by you regarding the above-referenced debt. Pursuant to Section 805(c) of the FDCPA, you are required to cease and desist from any and all attempts to contact me further regarding same."

Send it regular and certified mail. After they get the letter, they are entitled to call you one more time to tell you their intentions.

Note: This law only applies to debt collectors. It will not stop the actual creditor from contact you.

Comment

Be careful what you wish for.... once you file you'll be LONELY All that attention on you will be gone...

I personally had to fight the urge to call Wank of America just to say hello.. I missed them calling me 15 times a day!

Comment

Answer the calls and tell them you are filing BK with the next couple of weeks and give them your attorney's phone number. As soon as I did that, the calls stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
                    Answer the calls and tell them you are filing BK with the next couple of weeks and give them your attorney's phone number. As soon as I did that, the calls stopped.
                    That's exactly what I did, and my phone is starting to go silent. Interesting enough, the collector is initially excited to FINALLY get me on the phone. More interesting, I have a slight satisfaction when I burst their bubble with the Bankruptcy news. I just left my lawyers office and he said this is exactly what he wants me to do.
                    Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

32 calls yesterday. I am not answering any of them because I don't want to give them the heads up that I am filing. One actually got a hold of me through work which pissed me off. I just told them I can not receive calls at work. It took a few minutes to get them off the phone when I said that. I can not wait for this to be over.

Comment

Funny.

Comment

Originally posted by corrin69 View Post
                          Easy to stop if you don't mind doing a few letters. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, it is unlawful for a debt collector to continue contacting you after you tell him that you refuse to pay the debt or wish him to stop calling you. Send a letter along these lines:

"Please be advised that I do not wish to be contacted further by you regarding the above-referenced debt. Pursuant to Section 805(c) of the FDCPA, you are required to cease and desist from any and all attempts to contact me further regarding same."

Send it regular and certified mail. After they get the letter, they are entitled to call you one more time to tell you their intentions.

Note: This law only applies to debt collectors. It will not stop the actual creditor from contact you.

A little bit of caution in using this technique. This is a FULL cease and desist notice. IF you choose to go this way - that's fine but just be aware that you've now given that creditor the ONLY way to contact you is through a court of law. Not so good. May I suggest a PARTIAL cease and desist with wording the same as above except adding that you will only communicate with them through the US Mail....

This is one of my "laws of unintended consequences" that I had to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacey View Post
                            Me too and turned off the ringer.

Comment

Turned my phone off and it's almost TOO quiet here. Coupla them got my cell tho, and they tie up my voicemail.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X