Paying utilities post discharge pre foreclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying utilities post discharge pre foreclosure

I am now in limbo awaiting foreclosure. There was a bench trial scheduled then vacated at last minute. No word in last month. I have been paying utilities on house-it is vacant but I want/need to stop. Who do I tell so that bank can pick up the utilities? I don't want to just turn them off, feel that would be harmful to house but I can't afford to a/c a house. Anyone deal with this? Thanks.

If you don't live in the house, turn the utilities off.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

If you are concerned about the status of the house, you can always call your bank and tell them you are pulling the plug on water, electric, etc as of XXX day. Let them worry about it.

But, in most states, you are responsible for insuring the house and paying any applicable HOA dues until the title is out of your name. One possible way to speed this up is to call the bank and surrender the property via a Deed in Lieu. Who knows - you may be able to squeeze some relocation expenses from them by asking for a Cash for Keys program.

In any case, minimize your expenses. If you don't live there, why pay anything you don't have to pay?

Comment

Don't pay any utilities! Wether it's harmful to the house is the banks problem, not yours. Keep you money in your pocket is my advice for sure!

By the way, my neighbors bought a foreclosed house across the street from me a few years ago, it sat for 5 yrs. first and they had no problems. Mind you, it sat through some hard PA winters so maybe that will put your mind at ease too!!!
        Filed CH 7 4/15/11
        341 5/23/11
        DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

Like sunshinepa said, if you're not living in the house--turn the utilities off. Do not worry about the house. The mortgage servicer will have people walk by your house periodically to see if it's still occupied, and if not then they will have it winterized.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X