Finally Did It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Did It

I paid my fees and signed my paperwork. Now I am back at work trying not to cry and trying to figure out why my body is numb. Will anything ever be normal again???

:-) It's better than waiting to file...you'll get better - you WILL!!!!!!!! All my best wishes to you...

And you know...sorry for the amateur psych-speak - but acknowledging that you did go through something stressful and traumatic and allowing yourself that, will help too...

again - BEST WISHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[As the Liverpool Football Club song says - "You'll never walk alone!]

Comment

Depends on what you mean by normal. If normal was whistling past graveyards, borrowing on credit cards and hoping you could catch up and pay them off, counting the days til your direct deposit hit the bank and hoping that your written checks cleared AFTER that, then no, it won't be like that anymore because you're learning a new way to live.

Debt Free, and knowing you will do everything in your power not to ever be sitting right in this distressing spot again is as the MC ads say "priceless." Think about those words... This may not be how you intended to become debt free, but it's going to be a fact, regardless. It's a precious gift that is written into the laws of our land, and I am deeply grateful for this new start. America is a land of new starts - it was created to be one and it's so fitting that it's legacy includes a new start for debtors.

By this time next year, instead of a crater of debt and worry, you will have a small mountain of savings and peace of mind. Look up there, from where you are sitting now and you'll find your tears drying. Keep looking into the past and feeling the 'shame' of filing and you'll continue to feel awful and unworthy. But our forefathers did not intend for us to be stuck there - they intended for us to get sorted out and go back to be productive citizens. Come with us, Rozi! (Back history to put this in perspective. I've been in massive amounts of debt for a variety of reasons many times and dug out the long slow way myself. This last time, the economy, and real estate and hub's previous long term unemployment followed by my recent unemployment all conspired to make the hole too big for any shovel or ladder known to man and we threw in the towel. I spent 6 years trying to fix this last cascading set of mess-ups and finally had to stop looking at my crater and face facts like you just did and file BK. My signature lines give the dates of how long it took to get done with our chapter 7. But the tears stanched and the fearful way of living stopped as soon as I started looking FORWARD, just a few weeks after we decided to file and began getting our papers in order. I started making budget plans and realized how much I could put in savings if we continued to live as paupers regarding buying stuff, and began to see that life in future could look much more peaceful than it had in years.)
      Figured out we were in trouble: (Wait, we're in trouble? ) Stopped paying creditors: Aug 2010 Filed Chap 7: Apr 29, 2011 341: Jun 1, 2011 Report of no distribution: Jun 1, 2011 Discharged Aug 2, 2011

Comment

Within a few days of filing, the phone was quiet and I realized that I felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders. I still got nervous about the 341 and the discharge, but it was all smooth and this forum helped assuage my fears a lot!
        Jessica
        Filed Chapter 7 (Minnesota): 5/23/11
        Discharged 8/30/11, Not yet closed...

Comment

Thanks for the advice yall! I am just really sad because I will miss my car and will probably have to drive a beater... and I will miss my dell account, my target account, my care credit account and my capital one account.

Comment

Originally posted by JessMN View Post
            Within a few days of filing, the phone was quiet and I realized that I felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders. I still got nervous about the 341 and the discharge, but it was all smooth and this forum helped assuage my fears a lot!
            Welcome to the new normal. I love no calls and an empty mailbox!
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

The day I filed I got physically ill....however, post discharge, I sleep well and I'm happy, no longer cringing at the phone ringing...praying for my paycheck to hit...wondering how I'm going to put gas in my car...the list goes on and on....it will get better, maybe not overnight, but it will. I started to really feel relieved after my 341...that's when I started to see a light at the end of the tunnel. However, instantly after filing my phone went quiet and the silence was absolutely golden.
              Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

Originally posted by Rozi View Post
                Thanks for the advice yall! I am just really sad because I will miss my car and will probably have to drive a beater... and I will miss my dell account, my target account, my care credit account and my capital one account.
                You'll get used to not having those things and will be better off for learning to do without them. Set a budget and stick to it. Before you know it, you won't miss those accounts and will be able to replace the beater.
                LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

did anyone of you have second thoughts after filing? I found out I still have time to cancel if I want too....

Comment

did anyone of you have second thoughts after filing? I found out I still have time to cancel if I want too....
                    I'm the wrong person to ask...but ultimately, it is the only way out...

Comment

No way, it's the best thing I ever did for myself, being debt free is a true blessing, start fresh, and learn from our past mistakes, it will be a whole new, way less stressful life. Live within your means, I got it, I hope you can too!

Comment

Originally posted by donnao View Post
                        No way, it's the best thing I ever did for myself, being debt free is a true blessing, start fresh, and learn from our past mistakes, it will be a whole new, way less stressful life. Live within your means, I got it, I hope you can too!
                        Ditto!
                        Jessica
                        Filed Chapter 7 (Minnesota): 5/23/11
                        Discharged 8/30/11, Not yet closed...

Comment

I drive a beater...it's not too bad but then I've really never cared a whole lot about what I drive since I'm not in it a lot. You will not miss those accounts once you don't have to look at paying them every month and look at what your balance is. It will become normal just like paying them became normal. You can still shop there, just take some of the money you are saving and buy gift cards or use cash. You'd be surprized at all the things you will pick up and put down because you really don't need it.
                          Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

I worked at keeping my car. At the time I filed my state only allowed a $700 exemption, and I needed something that would run. :-) Then after a short while, you will be surprised at all the things you don't really need. There is no more shopping without considering what things cost. Often I find the store brand is just as good as the big name national brand. I'm a big reader, and now instead of buying books, the library is now one of my "best friends."

It is a big adjustment, but if you're like me, you probably won't miss the constant ringing of the phone, having court summons taped to your door, and the juggling of credit cards. I'm only 11/48 payments in on a chap 13 but, life is so much more peaceful now. This "new normal" sure beats the "old normal."

Comment

Lets seeeeee...ummmm 2nd, 3rd, 4th .....For weeks i thought. What have I done.
                              I don't regret it for a second now. Life is soooo much better.
                              Rozi....it's gonna be OK!!!
                              filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
                              "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X