top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amusing situation post-filing...no phone calls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amusing situation post-filing...no phone calls!

I meant to post here when I actually filed on 8/30 but forgot...so that's the first news. All my angst over the expenses (see separate thread on "if I passed means test why does lawyer want me to find more expenses") was unnecessary, and lawyer was satisfied with what we went with on the petition. I had $130 in the bank that day and lawyer's comment was "under $500" seems to be the acceptable threshold here.

So anyway...I was actually looking forward to ANSWERING those "toll free calls" and "out of area" calls (don't know how anyone does this without Caller ID) but....NO CALLS! What I thought were creditor calls were charity solicits and phone company wanting to "bundle" a better package, etc.

I only have spoken to one creditor that I called...and was transferred like three times before speaking with a very pleasant gentleman who wished me well and asked if I had done CH 7 "because that's the best" and said all calls would stop. He did take lawyer's contact info and case number and that was it. I wonder if they actually do follow up with attorney.

I'm actually disappointed I haven't had the oppty to speak to more creditors! The court notices must go out very quickly because I've already had snailmail from a creditor saying they closed my account because of my recent BK...and a fishing one from a debt counseling company regarding the post-filing course.

Maybe today the phone will ring ...

ADD: Phone just rang. "Out of area" call and a Creditor...but not for me! I have been getting phone calls for people with other names, sometimes similar, sometimes not. I don't think they believe me when I say they have the wrong number and that person is not here...
    Last edited by nickifan; 09-10-2011, 06:27 AM. Reason: update

LOL. I so feel your desires!!!

I wanted so badly at my "day in court" to tell the judge everything about why i was being foreclosed on with my commercial property. I documented every phone call, every letter, every bit of correspondence i had. I asked for help - i got the in "two weeks" we will have an answer for you canned response (all the way up to the VP of SBA lending at the bank... i dont think there is a president~ LOL). Two weeks went by many times over and over again. After about 5 months, i gave up trying to get an answer for my request for help.

When i met with my attorney, he giggled at me. Your story isnt unique. The judge has heard it all before he said. I wanted to scream and throw a tantrum right there!!!! OF COURSE I AM UNIQUE!!!! OF COURSE MY STORY IS UNIQUE!!!! Then i looked around. It wasnt. It wasnt worth raising my blood pressure to tell the judge the same thing everyone else was saying, as he already knew. We just let the foreclosure happen.

It does feel really good to talk about it. Not to someone who will judge you, but to someone who will listen. And the banks/creditors/judges dont listen. They dont care.

I dont think they can actually call you though. Now any correspondence they have must go through your attorney now that you have filed. So relax and enjoy the quiet times again

Comment

Congrats on filing! Yes, it's a very nice feeling cutting the collection agents off mid-sentence with.."Before you continue, I have filed for bankruptcy protection. Would you like my case number and my attorneys contact information?" and then ending with...."As you know, any further calls will be considered a violation of the automatic stay offered to me as protection by the Bankruptcy courts, feel free to contact my attorney if necessary." LOL.
      Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

Haha it felt nice to say, "yeah, you need to talk to my lawyer about that."

Comment

The fact is, that most "sophisticated" creditors get an electronic notification within 24-48 hours after filing! That's why the majority of calls stop.

Congratulations on filing and enjoy the silence!
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Congrats on the filing and the silence of the phone. That's a wonderful feeling. Soon you'll be telling us you had a smooth 341 and before you know it, done!
            Filed CH 7 4/15/11
            341 5/23/11
            DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
              The fact is, that most "sophisticated" creditors get an electronic notification within 24-48 hours after filing! That's why the majority of calls stop.

Congratulations on filing and enjoy the silence!
              48 hours is the norm.
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X