top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

property management co. and corporate landlord will not rent before discharge..true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

property management co. and corporate landlord will not rent before discharge..true?

I tried to get an apt at the same complex but different location... and on the application I put down that I had filed a BK on 2011... they just called and asked when had it been discharged and I told them that it hasn't (i just filed on 9/2/11)... they said they cannot approve it and she (being very nice) advised me that I should stay in my apt until the BK is discharged because no company would rent to me if the BK is not discharged.. unless its a private owner... is this true? any experience on this?
    I'm very close to getting another job and would have to re-locate.. how hard will it be to find a nice place?

Thank you all!

To my knowledge, I have never had a client denied a rental due to the lack of a discharge. Any time there was an issue the landlord or management company simply wanted a "comfort letter" that the new lease could not be added to the current bk. I have a generic letter I use and it seems to work fine.

Des.

Comment

I got into a place a month before discharge
      Jessica
      Filed Chapter 7 (Minnesota): 5/23/11
      Discharged 8/30/11, Not yet closed...

Comment

I thought I was gonna run into that same issue, as I am in the middle of waiting for discharge, but have to move before then. Ive talked to a few prop mgrs and been upfront. All of them so far have said that would not disqualify me, in fact most said they put more weight on rental payment history than anything. 1 even went on to tell me how she had a client who had filed and then moved to one of the units she manages, and how 2 months into the lease they ran 2 weeks late. She said at that point she knew she wouldnt renew their lease.
        Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
        The rebuilding begins

Comment

I've spoken to three different properties and all have said "not before discharge" which sucks because we have perfect rental history...

Comment

I worked in Property Management for years and maybe I can share why the companies hate it so.

Chapter 13 - you can convert to a 7 and any debt you accumulate between filing the 13 and 7 can be included in your Chapter 7 liquidation... :poof: Landlord loses any rent you did not pay.

Chapter 7 - before you are discharged and closed you could *possibly* not go to your 341 or face a challenge from the UST, etc. and dismiss your current BK. :poof: Your current landlord (who allowed you to sign a lease during this flux period) would be out any rent you did not pay them as well as the cost of eviction if you file a successful BK in the future.

Landlords LOVE the fact that after discharge there is a statutory amount of time before you can file a BK again. THIS is why they happily let you sign a lease once you are discharged.

Hope this was somewhat helpful from a PM viewpoint.
            ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
            Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by stephvgr View Post
              I tried to get an apt at the same complex but different location... and on the application I put down that I had filed a BK on 2011... they just called and asked when had it been discharged and I told them that it hasn't (i just filed on 9/2/11)... they said they cannot approve it and she (being very nice) advised me that I should stay in my apt until the BK is discharged because no company would rent to me if the BK is not discharged.. unless its a private owner... is this true? any experience on this?
              I'm very close to getting another job and would have to re-locate.. how hard will it be to find a nice place?

Thank you all!
              For whatever reason or no reason, they don't have to do anything. If this is what they choose, at least they were kind and courteous and are letting you stay in one of their units. Hang in there it will only be a couple months and you will have your discharge. Have you had your 341 yet?

Look further or on Craigs list for an apartment or rental house. It's no real big deal. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X