Automatic Stay Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic Stay Question

From what I have read on this forum and if I understand it correctly, after you file there is an automatic stay and any collection efforts or lawsuits get put on hold until the BK is decided.

When I met with my Attny. he gave me his price but then told me it would be $150.00 more to to file the stay with Crap1 because of the summons they served me. I thought that since the stay would be automatic, that just informing them of the filing would stop any further action. I am wondering what would cost $150.00 unless there is a special process that has to be used when a court summons is issued and has to be answered by a certain deadline? Anyone have any insight on this?

DM
    Last edited by DaisysMom; 02-06-2012, 05:57 PM. Reason: Stupid Typos LOL

We had a creditor lawsuit filed also and as soon as the lawyer filed the BK they also sent a letter to the court where the suit was filed. The suit was then automatically closed out with a "Suggestion of Bankruptcy". It stopped that lawsuit in it's tracks. Our attorney did not charge anything extra for this.

Hth

Comment

Yes, df's thought is on point. Sounds like the attny is going to charge you $150.00 to draft and file a Notice of Bankruptcy Filing with the State Court. Not sure if the charge is reasonable. We don't charge to prepare and file such a document - other than the filing fee the state court charges us.

Des.

Comment

You can certainly file a letter with the Clerk of Court where the suit was filed. Include the case number and a copy of your BK filing. Walk the to the Clerk's office window and get them stamped and filed. A small fee is probably required. Also consider sending a certified copy to the attorney representing Cap 1.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X