top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Either my Phone has died or I have gone deaf.................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Either my Phone has died or I have gone deaf.................

it is not ringing as much today. I got one call last night answered it and told them before they started here was my lawyers name and number and BK number it was like the winds were knock out of there sails. She said okay will turn it over to our BK department and that was that.

We got our first piece of bk mail. It was to use them for our pre-discharge course. Can we do this before the 341 meeting or must we wait and do it after?

Pam

Both your phone and hearing are fine. The BK filing really does stop most creditors in their tracks. Your first taste of what it is like being debt free!

You can take the class anytime after you file and before your discharge. Might as well get it out of the way. Some charge more than others. Search around for a good deal.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
      Both your phone and hearing are fine. The BK filing really does stop most creditors in their tracks. Your first taste of what it is like being debt free!

You can take the class anytime after you file and before your discharge. Might as well get it out of the way. Some charge more than others. Search around for a good deal.

Thanks will do. We don't have to do it with the same firm we did the pre-bankruptcy with do we cause this one is cheaper

Comment

No, you don't have to use the same firm. As long as the course provider is approved in your state, you're fine. For a list of approved providers, go to http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa...c_approved.htm
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I need to make a correction. In a Chap 7, I think you have to take the class within 60 days after your first scheduled 341.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
            I need to make a correction. In a Chap 7, I think you have to take the class within 60 days after your first scheduled 341.

Thanks so we will do it right after the 341

Comment

Phone calls and post-filing course

It's weird, my phone calls were dying down lately, but they started up again the day after I filed. I just filed this past week and then the day after I filed, the phone was ringing off the hook. I keep the ringer off and just ignore them. I figured since I've ignored them this long, I might as well ignore them another week and then most of them should stop for good. Since I suddenly received so many calls the day after filing, I'm thinking maybe they found out about the filing and they were going to make a last-ditch effort to try to get money from me before they "technically" receive notice of my bankruptcy (a letter in the mail). I don't know if that's legal, so maybe it was just a coincidence.

Regarding your other question about the second course, I filed Chapter 7 and my attorney said I could take the course before the 341, so I'm assuming that's correct, unless it's different in other states. I haven't taken my post-filing course yet, but I'm planning on using "9 Dollar Debt Education" for that course, since it's the cheapest I've seen so far. They're on my state's list of approved debtor education agencies. If you're not positive you can take the course before the 341, you could ask your attorney (if you have an attorney), or just wait until after the 341 to be sure. Unless you've already taken it, in which case you can disregard my reply
              Last edited by SadPanda; 08-31-2012, 11:19 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Hi,

Our phones stopped almost immediately. I deleted GV (which was great to have, although some creditors still got through on our cells).

Our attorney suggested we take the post course as soon as we could. We had it completed the weekend before the 341, and she filed it with the Court that day. So everything is done and just waiting for the process. I think ours was $15??? It was www.debthelper.com. That is who our attorney suggested we take. Like LIR said, check that it is OK for your state.

Take care!

Comment

When I was 2 weeks away from filing, I started answering the phones and let everybody know my attorney's name and the fact that my Chapter 7 BK would be filed within 2 weeks. I even called the one before they called.

I didn't get a call again.

Comment

That's a good idea, especially if it will be a while before you finally file or they're aren't that many companies calling. When I thought I was filing last year, I did that two or three times, but it can get tiresome if you have a lot of different places calling. Since I wasn't able to file last year, the calls continued. Then this year, I filed so soon after my consultation with a different attorney that it wasn't worth answering the phone before I filed.

It's annoying when the collectors "spoof" their phone numbers on the Caller ID so it shows local numbers instead of 1-800 numbers or "unknown" callers, to trick people into thinking it might be someone they know calling. Although that's not as annoying as them calling family members.

Comment

We never bothered to answer the phone before our Ch. 7 was filed. Our kids were so programmed not to answer the bill collectors, that if my husband or I were calling the house on our way home from work, they wouldn't answer.

Now if it rings it's probably someone we know, or Ed McMahon from Publishers Clearing house!!

When our contract is up next month with Comcast, we will probably have our house phone turned off, since our friends and family have gotten so used to calling our cell phones if they really need to talk to us.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X