Form wants my EBAY & Amazon Passwords!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form wants my EBAY & Amazon Passwords!

My attorney's chapt 7 form want me to declaire any online accounts I have weather I am selling or "BUYING". I don't understand the Buying part, they want SNOOP at what I am buying on line but NOT what i'm buying at KMART? The reason I said snoop is because I HAVE to write down my PASSWORDS! Instead of them just telling me to honestly declair, they want to SNOOP? I dont even know yet how far I need to go back, I bought something , cant remember last Christmas online. Old Ebay account is DORMANT- no activity- I just don't like the password thing, passwords lead to emails, they could easily check that, emails lead to personal stuff that has nothing to do with finances. did anyone else have to Claim online activities ? I mean other than someone having an online Store? I mean casual buying like on Amazon or even surffing the site, because in order to surf sometimes you need a password.

Originally posted by 50Cent View Post
    My attorney's chapter 7 form .
    Note - your attorney's form, not the form from the court.

I give passwords to no one, for nothing, under any condition.

While I understand the need for full disclosure of income, a simple printout should suffice. If not, I would be searching for a different attorney.

Unless there's more to this story.......
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Don't give the passwords.

But the disclosure is something that can be asked for.

Is this really from "your attorney", or is it the trustee information sheet.

Comment

I just called and asked why I have to give password

Originally posted by frogger View Post
        Note - your attorney's form, not the form from the court.

I give passwords to no one, for nothing, under any condition.

While I understand the need for full disclosure of income, a simple printout should suffice. If not, I would be searching for a different attorney.

Unless there's more to this story.......
        Well since it looks like no one else has to do this< I called and asked her assistant why, she said I didn't have to if I was "Uneasy" (hugh, u give me your password to anything, and I BET I can uncover more than just your Ebay activities!) she said I didn't have to write it down, but if the TRUSTEE asks for it be prepared to give it. OK I'm a big girl I can remember my own password! Shady! Like someone ruffling through you unmentionables! Now my NEW QUESTION is: Anyone who did state an online account Ebay, Paypal, Amazon (who DOESN'T have PayPal!) , mainly I'm talking to casual shoppers/sellers- DID THE TRUSTEE ask for your password? (Online shop owners can answer too!) Thanks!

Comment

It's the attorney's questionnaire sheet so the Paralegal can start filling out the real forms.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
            Don't give the passwords.

But the disclosure is something that can be asked for.

Is this really from "your attorney", or is it the trustee information sheet.
            what/ the trustee's gonna have a written questionare for me too at the 341?

Comment

The trustee information sheet is not so much a questionnaire, as a list of disclosure and potentially required items.

Maybe the trustees in your district are more internet savvy, and want such disclosures. However, I would not provide a password absent a court order.

Comment

Providing a password is a violation of the terms of service for the website.

I agree with HHM (usually do), absent a court order I would not turn it over.

Comment

My attorney asked about any eBay/Paypal accounts, but it was more for if these accounts generated any income (which they did not). No asking for passwords. The Trustee only asked if I had any income not reported on my petition. Also no asking of passwords on any accounts.
                  Chapter 7 Filed: 07/15/2011, 341 Meeting: 08/24/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 08/27/2011, Discharged: 10/31/2011, Closed: 11/04/2011

Comment

I mentioned my eBay and PayPal accounts at the start, probably during the initial consultation with my attorney. This is because they're a source of income. I wasn't asked for and would not have given out any passwords.

Comment

I would NEVER give my password out to anyone for any reason other than (as HHM already said) ordered to by the court. My attorney asking for it or even the Trustee asking for it would not be enough. I have no problem producing volumes of documentation regarding my financial transactions but giving someone your password put's your account at risk. I'm not willing to take that risk.
                      Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
                      Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

Of course you should seek an attorney's advice before following anything I'm about to write. I would never provide my password to anyone, not even the court upon order. I don't see why anyone needs your password. If a competent court of jurisdiction or the Trustee REALLY wanted your account information from eBay or PAYPAL, they could quite easily subpoena the information from the source!

Just makes no sense to me.
                        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Asking for the passwords sounds strange to me too. You could offer to send and/or print your most recent PayPal statement(s) to show your transactions, including any received payments. Or you could just print the main page of your account that shows your name and PayPal balance (so if you have $0 or another low balance, they can see that you have little or no money in the account). They might want to see more than that, but if so, you could just offer to send more statements in PDF form or print them. I don't know why they'd need to log in to your account when there are other ways to show them your transactions and/or balance.

Comment

Originally posted by 50Cent View Post
                            My attorney's chapt 7 form want me to declaire any online accounts I have weather I am selling or "BUYING". I don't understand the Buying part, they want SNOOP at what I am buying on line but NOT what i'm buying at KMART? The reason I said snoop is because I HAVE to write down my PASSWORDS! Instead of them just telling me to honestly declair, they want to SNOOP? I dont even know yet how far I need to go back, I bought something , cant remember last Christmas online. Old Ebay account is DORMANT- no activity- ...
                            Most people pay with Paypal, so you could just print out your Paypal transaction history that shows your last Ebay purchases, if the account really hasn't been used in so long. Many people buy and sell high dollar items on Ebay, so it's kind of surprising asking about this kind of thing isn't more common. I would ask your attorney if there is some reason they suspect you have hidden transactions, as I've found some attorneys won't ask a simple question, and waste time on needless speculation, as mine did, but maybe my attorney was just especially offensive and stupid (ok, I'm venting a little here, feels good).

If you have no credit cards or bank statements showing high dollar Paypal transactions, I wouldn't worry about it. It's overdoing the due diligence thing by asking for your password, tho. Just say no, you never give out your passwords. No, you don't have to.

Comment

I printed out all of my Ebay and Paypal statements since that is where a lot of my part-time income comes from, just in case, but would never give anyone my passwords. When I had the 341 meeting, the Trustee asked questions about buying and selling on Ebay, like where did I get stuff, and he thought it was difficult to make money that way, etc.

At first I thought he was being nice (duh) but I guess he was fishing. I was totally honest, and told him that I bought and sold from garage sales and thrift stores, mainly designer jeans, and that it was a lot of work. It helps to make a little extra cash, but I think they really want to see if you are a big time Ebayer making lots of money.

But he never asked to see statements or for passwords.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X