Community Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Community Property

I recently filed a Chapter 7 which is being converted to a 13 soon. When I filed I was married and filed solo (divorce pending). Initially when filing I asked my lawyer about the house (which my wife owns outright and owned 5 years prior to our marriage). She said this is not community property therefore did not have to be listed. I'm playing out scenarios in my head where the trustee would try to take her house due to my bankruptcy, which is probably absurd. Just wanted to get some feedback regarding this since I live in a community property state (TX) and what I might expect.

Thanks in advance.

Listen to your attny. She is correct. Your wife's home is a sole and separate asset and is not an asset of your bk estate unless you filed a joint petition.

Des.

Comment

Originally posted by despritfreya View Post
      Listen to your attny. She is correct. Your wife's home is a sole and separate asset and is not an asset of your bk estate unless you filed a joint petition.

Des.
      Thanks for your feedback, Des. This puts me at ease a bit. I just didn't want my bk mess affecting her property. Looks like I should have listened to my attorney in the beginning.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X