chapter 7 with a non-filing spouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chapter 7 with a non-filing spouse

I'll be filing chapter 7 soon. I am married, but I got married after I opened up all of my credit accounts. My wife doesn't owe any money to any of my creditors. Even though she isn't filing, do I list her as a "co-debtor" or "joint-debtor" anywhere in the petition? I know you're supposed to list a spouse's name on Schedule H and the statement of financial affairs. Do I put her SSN on B21 the statement of social security numbers?

Thanks.

Have you called an attorney yet?
    PLEASE go. At least once. You can still do it yourself, but you owe it to yourself to go talk to one or two.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

I'll be going into a bankruptcy clinic held by the public law center of orange county next week. Do you have any advice or recommendations for contacting attorneys? Doing a brief search, it seems like they all want to sell me a $2-3000 package deal, when all I would need is a few questions answered.

Comment

Make a few appointments for one on one. It should be free.
        No commitment. Just information-gathering.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Looks like I found the answer to my earlier question. According to the NOLO chapter 7 book, if you are filing separately you put N/A for your spouses info.

Comment

In some states, the fact that you continued to use/charge upon the credit cards during the marriage means that the debt is jointly owed by you and your wife. Only debts which were incurred before the marriage took place would be in your name alone. You really need to check the laws of your state in order to determine if the debts are indeed solely your responsibility.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X