photocopies, originals, electronic filing...security of my originals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

photocopies, originals, electronic filing...security of my originals

I know this is a silly question, but I searched this forum and couldn't find this question or answer (which leads me to believe it's common sense and makes me feel even more stupid!) Anyway, I'm getting my paperwork together to drop off to my lawyer tomorrow. Do I have to make copies of all my bank statements, credit card statements, mortgage loan documents, insurance documents,etc., and take the photocopies to the lawyer's office, or do I take in all the originals and the lawyer will make copies and return the originals to me?

I know he will be filing the petition electronically, so maybe his office will have to make PDFs of my documents to attach to the filing. Anyway, I don't know if I should drop off all the originals to his office and trust that I'll get them all back. I'm especially worried about my original loan documents and my original social security card, which I have had for more than 40 years.

Can someone please tell me what is normal procedure? Thank you so much.

It is a good idea to make copies of your originals, and hand the copies to your attorney--just in case something happens.

For the most part, once your attorney is done with them, you will get them back. The attorney should make copies of your originals, and keep the copies on file until well after you are Discharged and Closed.

Don't be worried about your documents.
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 07-21-2013, 04:25 PM. Reason: I had to edit that really long drawn on sentance.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy12 View Post
      I know he will be filing the petition electronically, so maybe his office will have to make PDFs of my documents to attach to the filing.
      The documents you give to your attorney will not get filed with the court. All that is filed with the court is your petition and schedules that are prepared by your attorney on official court forms. The documents you give your attorney is to help him prepare your petition. You will need to take your original SS card to your 341 to show the trustee, but it will be returned to you immediately. Your pay stubs and current checking and savings account statements might be sent to the trustee. But, none of this information is filed with the court.

I gave my attorney mostly photocopies. But, I also brought a huge file of original documents from my mortgage and refinance because there was so much paper. I left that original file with him. After my plan was confirmed, I called his office and asked for the file back and they had it ready for me to pick up the next day.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I agree with the posters above. My attorney didn't need originals of anything. Most of the things I brought, they made photocopies of and gave me back my copy. Some of the stuff I brought were computer printouts and I told them to just keep them.
        Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

Oh, thank you, (especially Lady). For some reason I thought my lawyer couldn't file until he had every piece of information from me he asked for. I talked to him today and he said for me to bring in what I have gotten together tomorrow, and to keep bringing in paperwork as I get it together. I think he can file the application and get my bankruptcy petition number I immediately, even though I'm short on some of the paperwork.

Comment

What he means is that he can file an Emergency Petition for you. That is a filing of the 'bare bones' petition. It will get filed, and you will get your Case Number. You will then have 15 calendar days to bring in the rest of the paperwork that is lacking.

That is calendar days, not business days.
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thank you Angelina. I'm going to take a big batch of statements into him today, so maybe he can file for me this week. If I am forced to have everything to him in 15 days, that would be a good incentive and push for me to get off my butt and get everything done. I think I'm procrastinating because I don't want to file for bankruptcy and leave my house, but it is the right thing to do. I'm single, and am going through this alone. I don't want to use that as an excuse, but it is easier to stay in bed under the covers some days. I'm so glad I have you all in this forum to prod me along when I need it. Thanks again.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X