Today is a special day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today is a special day!

I checked my e-mail this morning and to my surprise, I got a message from my mother's attorney's office. I was told that something finally happened. Something we've been waiting for for months now and that something was the main purpose of my mum's filing:

Since it took more than three months from filing the Motion to its Granting, we were a bit nervous. I guess now, we can call it "Mission Accomplished".

BTW, the latest entry on Pacer on my mum's case reads "Approved Notice of Final Report - Chapter 7 Asset Closing" - so I guess it won't be too long before her entire case is completed. It just feels awesome to have this $160K-mortgage off our back - for good.

So yes, Lien Stripping in BK CH7 in our District really IS alive.
    Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
    FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
    FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Chapter 7 lien stripping is STILL ALIVE in Florida!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Congrats! Good job...I know it has been quite a ride for you.

Comment

Wow!! I am so glad for you!!
        ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
        Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Thank You, folks!
          Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You and you Mum deserve a special one:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
              CONGRATULATIONS!!! You and you Mum deserve a special one:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Hahaha...my Mum's second...

Comment

Congrats here as well.
                It looks like this applies to the entire 11th circuit.

Nolo makes the law accessible to everyone by offering an extensive library of free, legal articles and a catalog of DIY products and legal services designed to help you solve your everyday legal problems.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
                  It looks like this applies to the entire 11th circuit.
                  It is the precedent in the 11th Circuit and all lower courts (Alabama, Florida, Georgia) are compelled to comply.
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Congrats here as well.
                    Thanks!

The 11th Circuit Decision

In In Re McNeal, Case No. 11-11352 (11th Cir., May 11, 2012), the 11th Circuit ruled that a debtor could strip off a home lien in Chapter 7 bankruptcy if no part of the lien is secured by the home’s equity (this is referred to as being “wholly unsecured”).

I know it sounds crazy but on May 11, 2012, my only beloved brother died in a traffic accident. He always wanted us to keep our home by all means possible. Considering that virtually NOBODY expected such a ruling (strip in CH7), I sometimes wonder...but no, I know that's nonsense - but I can't help thinking about it once in a while.

Emotionally, the last 20 months were extremely difficult for us - especially for my mother. So today, when I reminded her of the fact that the ruling that made everything possible was on the same day my brother died, I wasn't surprised that she had to cry. It was a mix of emotions: Mostly sadness due to my brother's death but I think I also noticed some relief that the Motion was finally granted.

Comment

Originally posted by IBroke View Post
                      I know it sounds crazy but on May 11, 2012, my only beloved brother died in a traffic accident. He always wanted us to keep our home by all means possible. Considering that virtually NOBODY expected such a ruling (strip in CH7), I sometimes wonder...but no, I know that's nonsense - but I can't help thinking about it once in a while.
                      No, isn't nonsense. Both 'Hub and I have seen too many things in our lives. Simply give Thanks, and give your Mum and yourself multiple {{{{{HUGGSS}}}}}
                      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                        No, isn't nonsense. Both 'Hub and I have seen too many things in our lives. Simply give Thanks, and give your Mum and yourself multiple {{{{{HUGGSS}}}}}
                        Thanks, Angelina. I'll gladly "forward" the hugs to my mum...

Comment

Folks in the 11th need to hustle if they want to stip a unsecured junior lein. Looks like this is going to be taken up by the Supreme Court.

Comment

Folks in the 11th need to hustle if they want to stip a unsecured junior lein. Looks like this is going to be taken up by the Supreme Court.

http://www.ncbrc.org/blog/2013/12/13...ase/#more-2142
                            That's the reason why we were so nervous. Our attorney told us on day one that this opportunity is not likely to be there permanently.

Comment

It depends on whether the Supreme Court grants certiorari on the question of whether it is allowed. They have yet to accept the case, but they do take cases throughout their term. (It's typically 6 weeks from when the petition is filed and the Supreme Court usually grants or denies cert. It has now been six weeks since the petition was filed. I would still not give any weight to the 6 weeks as they could just be slow due to the holidays and the number of cases which they must comb through to find cases that merit review.)

In any event, I would take no chances and take advantage of this window of opportunity. The case could go either way but Bank of America is the one that has asked for cert since GMAC went into bankruptcy themselves (and were the original landmark case that is allowing lien stripping in Chapter 7s in the 11th Circuit -- In Re McNeal is the GMAC case, Sinkfield is the Bank of America case).

So, get them while they are hot!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X