X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automobiles

How many cars are you allowed to have?

We have one main car that we use, and two junkers that need to be repaired.

I want to eventually fix up one that needs a new engine, but for now it is worth little, but there is a title loan on it of about $1,500.

I also have another older car I want to fix up for my son. Can I give it to him now? It's not worth that much. Would it look bad to transfer property at this time?

I wouldn't transfer property. We had three vehicles when we filed. One was a brand new van with negative equity. One was a truck that we paid $400 for and another vehicle worth about $1K. We kept all of them.

Comment

Yep. Don't transfer any property now. The Court looks back a year on property transfers.

I wouldn't worry too much about the old junkers. Be sure and document defects for valuation purposes.
      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
      Discharged - 12/2006
      Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
      Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

I was wondering if there was a limit on the number of cars. If not, I'm in good shape. We get a $3,400 total exemption, and the three of them together have less equity than that.

Also, is it true that if you owe more than you own on a car that a bk will eliminate the exess?

For example, if my car is worth $4,000, but I owe $5,000, does a chapter 7 eliminate $1,000 of the debt? And if so, do they go by wholesale or retail value?

Comment

That's not the case. I wish it was, but no it's not.

Comment

The number you can keep totally depends on the wording of your State's exemption.

Some States say "A vehicle." That means the filer gets one. Or a couple could keep 2 if filing joint.

Some States say "A vehicler per driver." If you had 5 drivers in your family, like we do, you'd get to keep 5 vehicles, as long as you don't exceed your exemption limit.

The Trustee can come into play there with the New Law. New Law allows for operation expenses for 2 vehicles. And the Trustee could enforce that issue if they want. Make you justify why you have more than 2 cars.

Our exemption doesn't specify a number of vehicles. We have 3 cars and can absolutely demonstrate the need to have each one.
            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
            Discharged - 12/2006
            Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Does a 15 year old with a learner's permit qualify as a "driver???"

Comment

Inthestorm, posting to old threads (especially a three year old thread from 2006) is against our forum rules. Bankruptcy and other areas of the law are constantly changing, and bringing up these old threads can expose information that was accurate when posted but now is not accurate. Also most of the members that posted in these older threads are no longer active, so any questions asked will not be answered.

In the future in this situation, please start a new thread of your own. Thanks!

I'm closing this thread to further posting.
                I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget