"Your account is under review for placement with the law firm of..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Your account is under review for placement with the law firm of..."

Got this yesterday from Target Visa -- a nice touch was the handwritten envelope and signed by a real person, who called me by my first name .

It says "Your account is now under review for placement with the law firm of Weltman, Weinberg & Reis for further collection efforts. However there is still time to work out satisfactory payment arrangements with Target National Bank. Please give me a call...."

Just another scare tactic, I'm assuming? I only owe them $1810 and have spoken with their reps four times, but not since 2/20. They say the account is three months' past due, I say two. (I still think the late date should start when you miss the next payment, not from the last time you paid!!)

Scare tactic with carpel tunnel writing out all those envelopes. Poor kid probably gets minimum wage and doesn't even know what satisfactory means.
    attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
    no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
    341, 05/10/2010
    discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

I have dealt with that firm...they will sue you
      Take $10 billion from the government and then sue me...nice

Comment

Originally posted by jwmc1 View Post
        And how long did that take?? I still think this is pretty early in the game to be waving lawyers at me.

I went to their website...they do not do "direct representation" in Texas but go on to say they have affiliations with lawyers who do.

I wonder if it would be worth it to call the rep who signed her name and say I have job interviews and maybe that buys a little time?

Comment

If they haven't sent it yet, they will likely wait 30 days and then you will have another 30 days. I called after it was sent to the firm. I was able to delay the suit for about 90 days. You likely have time, but if you think it will help to call go ahead, but I don't see what difference that will make.

Comment

Anytime it goes to a law firm, especially if they are local, the likelihood of suing goes up ten fold, I can speak from experience. And if they are out of state, it still increases the likelihood, I have had out of state firms run credit report checks on me, and they usually have a network attorney/firm in your area.

Comment

Why would they run CR checks...to determine potential assets?
              First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Originally posted by flyinbroke View Post
                Why would they run CR checks...to determine potential assets?
                They will look to see what your debt is and what it is tied to. Probably gives them an idea of what you have available, or "should" have available. Probably just tying to see if it is worth their while to go after you.

Comment

Cool...I have a truckload all tied to CCs and SLs. Not worth their time.
                  First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Not really sure why they wanted to take a peek into it, I never researched which account it was. I am guessing that if they seen multiple delinquent accounts, and that I am most likely bankrupt as it is, and thus its a waste of time.

Comment

I've had several legal firms pull my CR's. I am currently being sued by an in-state attorney for a CAPI1 account. They pulled my CR's. They should have pulled my court files and noticed how many judgments leading to wage garnishment I'm backing up. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by jwmc1 View Post

Ha! They never sued me !

They called and called and sent threatening letters, and then I sent them a cease and desist communications letter and told them I was judgment proof and explained what I meant, and I never heard from them again.
                        The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                        "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                        Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

I just got a letter from the same law firm today....on a Target Visa account.

*Sigh* Things seem to be stepping up.

The last payment I made to Target was in Dec.

Ugh. We won't be filing till at least August. I do not think we'll make it that far without being sued.

Should I call them? I have to say I am almost, ALMOST tempted to pay the $210 they say I need to pay. I won't, but I wonder if it would buy us any time?

Comment

Originally posted by JEM View Post
                            I just got a letter from the same law firm today....on a Target Visa account.

*Sigh* Things seem to be stepping up.

The last payment I made to Target was in Dec.

Ugh. We won't be filing till at least August. I do not think we'll make it that far without being sued.

Should I call them? I have to say I am almost, ALMOST tempted to pay the $210 they say I need to pay. I won't, but I wonder if it would buy us any time?
                            Paying one creditor over another might be viewed as preferential treatment and could mess up your bk. Careful with that!

Comment

deleted...
                              The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                              "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                              Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X