top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I stop paying my bills, how can I prevent collections people from harassing me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I stop paying my bills, how can I prevent collections people from harassing me?

I’m planning to file for chapter 7 bankruptcy in about 3 months. I’d like to wait 3 months to put enough time between when I last used my cards and when I file. I’m self-employed (internet biz) and right now I have close to 90k of debt on 10 cards. I live with my parents and my car is in their names only, so I don’t have any large assets. I am current on all of my cards at this time, but with interest rates over 20%, I can no longer keep up with the minimum payments.

Before I stop making my minimum payments, I’m going to change the phone number with my creditors to a cell phone that I’ll never answer (I currently have my real cell number on file). Right now I have a rental mailbox address listed with all my creditors, but I’m very nervous about collections people finding out my real address and coming to my house to harass me or my parents. Are there any steps that I can take to prevent this?

Rather than paying for another cell phone, go on over to Google and sign up for a FREE google voice account. Give THAT number to the creditors.

Have you ever had the house address listed on ANY accounts? Is it on your credit report as a past address? If so, expect collection letters at the house. Unless collectors are local, I wouldn't expect any visits though.

When you opened these accounts, did you list any references? Most credit apps ask for them "Nearest relative not living with you" etc. After a while of you ignoring them, the collectors will start to call the references looking for you. Hopefully, you'll get your paperwork filed before that starts though.

Good luck.
    Don
    Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
    Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

Comment

Also, here's a recent thread on this very subject. It might of help to you as well.

http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...-a-new-number.
      Don
      Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
      Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

Comment

I would not give them a new cell number, when they can't reach you on that they will probably start calling you on the old number, get a new number and use it for yourself and let them call the old one, it will be difficult for them to find out your new cell number

Comment

Thank you for the replies so far. It makes me feel better knowing they probably won't come to my house. I'll probably leave my current cell number on file with them, and get a new cell number to give out to friends and family. One more thing, what happens when you just completely ignore their calls and letters? Like I mentioned, I'm planning to file for bk in 3 months, so that should be before it moves to the judgement phase.

Comment

Originally posted by jubilee2010 View Post
            One more thing, what happens when you just completely ignore their calls and letters? Like I mentioned, I'm planning to file for bk in 3 months, so that should be before it moves to the judgement phase.
            With one exception, I ignored the calls and letters for 3 months before I filed. The one exception was when my spouse got a phone call at work, the creditor got a Cease & Desist letter and never called back at work.

You should be fine ignoring phone calls and letters for 3 months. Good luck!
            Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
            Attended 341 September 2010
            Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

most cell companies have a "block" system...ours allows 5 calls per cell phone to be blocked. you can either do it on line or call them.

we each have a cell phone and had no clue how they got our numbers....but they did. so we just put a block on each number.

we had to renew the block every 90 days...but it kept them away....and i'm certain really got them angry...LOL!!!!!

USE BLOCK!!
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Keep in mind that when you start ducking their calls, they will begin to call your family members, neighbors and friends in what are called attempt to locate calls. If they can't reach you then sooner or later they will sue you in which you will have process servers dropping by your real address. Since in some states, like mine the process servers are deputies they will have access to your driver's license information with your correct address.

Comment

Originally posted by Bell30656 View Post
                  Keep in mind that when you start ducking their calls, they will begin to call your family members, neighbors and friends in what are called attempt to locate calls. If they can't reach you then sooner or later they will sue you in which you will have process servers dropping by your real address. Since in some states, like mine the process servers are deputies they will have access to your driver's license information with your correct address.
                  when and if anyone at all contacts a third party to collection from you....just file a complaint with the FTC....it is against the law for them to contact your family and neighbors etc. .....most states have access to your drivers license info...but that doesn't matter either.

in the state we lived they never served you....which is against the law and got judgments anyway.

the system sinks....but you can file complaints with the FTC and they will be fined.
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I would prepare a C & D letter for all creditors you have. Once you stop payment, upon the first to call, verbally ask them not to call you or anyone you know, follow it up with that prepared letter with green card. Do this for the next and so on. I don't believe you can send one before they make the first call though. 'Hub
                    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                      I would prepare a C & D letter for all creditors you have. Once you stop payment, upon the first to call, verbally ask them not to call you or anyone you know, follow it up with that prepared letter with green card. Do this for the next and so on. I don't believe you can send one before they make the first call though. 'Hub
                      I have "dodged" about 10 creditors for 2 years now - and am finally able to qualify for BK.

I have learned a lot of do's and don'ts. Hopefully these help you.

DO:

1. Change your phone number(s).
                      2. Drop your home number unless you really really need it. I can't tell you how much better it was for the entire family to have to not listen to ringing all day long.
                      3. Get a Google Voice number. www.google.com/voice Then add any collector to your "DO NOT DISTURB" list and you won't be bothered.
                      4. Realize that debt collectors are calling literally 1000s of people a day (auto dialing software) in hopes that someone will answer. It's not personal, it's business.
                      5. Unless you have the cash to offer them a one-time settlement on the spot, talking to them is not only a waste of time, it is actually dangerous as they will record any and everything you say to be used against you if possible.

DO NOTs:

1. Do not send them a cease and desist letter (like many people have been advising you.) Why? I found out the hard way that once they receive a letter like this, many collection agencies instantly flag your file for an instant court case. I SENT ONE LETTER LIKE THIS AND WAS INSTANTLY SUED. I lost the case and have a $20K+ judgment. NOT A SINGLE OTHER COLLECTOR HAS TRIED TO FILE SUIT AGAINST ME AND I THINK A LOT OF IT HAS TO DO WITH THE FACT I SIMPLY DO NOT CONTACT THEM IN ANY WAY (MAIL, EMAIL OR PHONE>)
                      2. Do not put your personal information on the Internet where it is easy to get. Facebook, LinkedIn and other social sites are easy targets to find out (a) where you work, (b) who your friends are, etc.
                      3. Do not try and get into a payment plan with a creditor. If you have the cash, offer a single lump sum and get them to agree in writing before doing anything.
                      4. Do not ever, ever give them your checking account number. If you are going to pay them off, do so with a money order.
                      5. Do not keep a lot of money in one bank. Keep some cash at home at all times. If you ever have a creditor win a judgment, they could sweep that cash out from your bank in a minute.

Note that I successfully dodged 9 other creditors for 2+ years doing this.

I might add that it helps to understand the collectors point of view.

If you were a collector and had literally 1000s of files to collect, would you focus on (a) the debtors who took your phone calls and/or sent you letters OR (b) the debtors who were 100% silent/disappeared?

It is very tough to collect from a "ghost" if you know what I mean.

I've seen my debts sold from collection company A to collection company B to collection company C - and I figure it is because each one got tired of trying to contact a ghost like me.
                      Last edited by gman; 10-05-2010, 05:19 AM.
                      Over Median Income - 10/04/10--Filed Pro Se Chap 7/ No Assets 11/10/10--341 Held 01/18/11-- No Distribution/No Funds 01/19/11--Not subject to dismissal under 521(i)(1) AND --Reaffirmation Hearing Held = APPROVED 02/10/11--Discharged

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                        we spent over 60 dollars sending certified c/d letters that all went to the banks garbage cans....they break all the FTC laws and no one enforces anything...

we finally....

as gman did ...just a bit different...

left town..no forwarding address or phone
                        put blocks on our cell phones

the irony was...and this is sort of funny...is we did get a new land line when we moved and we are seeing calls coming in from the caller id...from

boa
                        chase
                        discovery
                        citibank

we are what the HECK????

so one day i decided to pick up.....

LOL!!!!!! the person's phone number we got...our NEW number...well everyone and THEIR mother's were looking for them....

they wouldn't believe it was NOT them...LOL!!!!!!!

Comment

Exactly..I turned off the phone ringer and exercised my right to remain silent. Never sent C&D's, which I think is a waste of postage. I have only been sued by Crap 1(they sue everyone for the most part). Its been 2 years since I stopped paying and in control.

[QUOTE=gman;456833]I have "dodged" about 10 creditors for 2 years now - and am finally able to qualify for BK.

I have learned a lot of do's and don'ts. Hopefully these help you.

DO:

1. Change your phone number(s).
                          2. Drop your home number unless you really really need it. I can't tell you how much better it was for the entire family to have to not listen to ringing all day long.
                          3. Get a Google Voice number. www.google.com/voice Then add any collector to your "DO NOT DISTURB" list and you won't be bothered.
                          4. Realize that debt collectors are calling literally 1000s of people a day (auto dialing software) in hopes that someone will answer. It's not personal, it's business.
                          5. Unless you have the cash to offer them a one-time settlement on the spot, talking to them is not only a waste of time, it is actually dangerous as they will record any and everything you say to be used against you if possible.

DO NOTs:

1. Do not send them a cease and desist letter (like many people have been advising you.) Why? I found out the hard way that once they receive a letter like this, many collection agencies instantly flag your file for an instant court case. I SENT ONE LETTER LIKE THIS AND WAS INSTANTLY SUED. I lost the case and have a $20K+ judgment. NOT A SINGLE OTHER COLLECTOR HAS TRIED TO FILE SUIT AGAINST ME AND I THINK A LOT OF IT HAS TO DO WITH THE FACT I SIMPLY DO NOT CONTACT THEM IN ANY WAY (MAIL, EMAIL OR PHONE>)
                          2. Do not put your personal information on the Internet where it is easy to get. Facebook, LinkedIn and other social sites are easy targets to find out (a) where you work, (b) who your friends are, etc.
                          3. Do not try and get into a payment plan with a creditor. If you have the cash, offer a single lump sum and get them to agree in writing before doing anything.
                          4. Do not ever, ever give them your checking account number. If you are going to pay them off, do so with a money order.
                          5. Do not keep a lot of money in one bank. Keep some cash at home at all times. If you ever have a creditor win a judgment, they could sweep that cash out from your bank in a minute.

Note that I successfully dodged 9 other creditors for 2+ years doing this.

Comment

I have to respectfully disagree with the "Stick your head in the sand like an ostrich" approach to dealing with collection calls. You owe them money and now are aghast that they have the nerve to contact you about it. You can file any type of FTC complaint you want to but the creditors are completely allowed to make "Attempt to Locate" calls to all of your friends, neighbors and anyone else they wish to contact. Hell, they can call you pastor if they want. Quote the law that stops them from doing it.

The collection agents can take your address and find all your neighbors phone numbers then call each one of them asking if they can leave a message for you to call Mr. Smith at XYZ Financial Services or whatever. This is legal because YOU are ducking their calls and they are trying to locate you. Sucks, doesn't it? Of course, most collection agencies don't go to this extreme but there some JDBs that will call everyone on your street, all the local pastors and everyone in town with your last name. Especially if you live in a small town.

Simple method to handling a debt collector: Answer the phone, inform them you are recording (whether you are or not), confirm your identity, then tell them that you will not discuss financial matters over the phone, bid them a good day and hang up. Collection agents are trained to take control of a conversation and intimidate you into opening your wallet. They absolutely hate anyone that refuses to play along. Many people don't care who the collector calls but I didn't want my neighbors to receive calls and calls for me at work.

Hiding from a process server in Georgia doesn't work very well as they mostly have badges and guns.

Comment

Curious, you have no assets yet you racked up 90k on what exactly?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X