top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bozo No No / Or why the mail is great comedy some days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bozo No No / Or why the mail is great comedy some days.

Just got the mail and there's a letter from the Law Offices Of XXXXX Xxxxx. I figure it's probably the debt validation that I requested back at the start of Oct. Uh, no, no, it's on a Wal-Mart card that the account number looks vaguely familiar. Odd, I think; I pull open our files and sure enough we had sent a debt validation to them 2 months ago on a collection they're doing on my wife's account. I'm thinking "typo" but as I read on down in the letter, they're claiming that I have taken over her account and that I'm now the responsible party on her debt (both wrong, we've always kept our debt separate and never used each other's cards or got spousal cards) and that if I don't settle they will take further action against ME for both accounts :lol:

So come Monday, it's another $5 in postal fees, another debt validation, but with a little something added about proving that I had taken over my wife's account.
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 11-06-2010, 01:17 PM. Reason: Crossed out proper name

Originally posted by BrokeIn2010 View Post
    Just got the mail and there's a letter from the Law Offices Of Wanda Cross. I figure it's probably the debt validation that I requested back at the start of Oct. Uh, no, no, it's on a Wal-Mart card that the account number looks vaguely familiar. Odd, I think; I pull open our files and sure enough we had sent a debt validation to them 2 months ago on a collection they're doing on my wife's account. I'm thinking "typo" but as I read on down in the letter, they're claiming that I have taken over her account and that I'm now the responsible party on her debt (both wrong, we've always kept our debt separate and never used each other's cards or got spousal cards) and that if I don't settle they will take further action against ME for both accounts :lol:

So come Monday, it's another $5 in postal fees, another debt validation, but with a little something added about proving that I had taken over my wife's account.
    That's the ticket. Have you ever heard [some] lawyers lie? 'Hub

Remember:
    A GOOD lawyer knows the law,
    A GREAT lawyer knows the Judge.
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I would like to hear how this matter gets resolved. Keep us posted on this, okay?

I had a similar problem about 1.5 years ago when a debt collector was attempting to collect the debt of a deceased relative. First they sent a collection letter addressed to the deceased relative at my address. I sent it back to them, telling them the person was deceased and that I was not responsible for the debt. I made the mistake of puting my name on the envelop in which I sent my response back to them.

So guess what happened next? A new collection letter was sent to the deceased relative at my address with my name listed above the deceased relative's name. The letter inside even mentioned my name and demanded payment immediately. I sent back a cease and desist communications letter and told them I was forwarding this matter to the Arizona Department of Financial Institutions (which regulates collection agencies in my state) and that it was unethical and wrong to attempt to make me pay the debt of a deceased relative. I then filed a complaint with the ADFI and the collection agency promptly dropped the account and stopped any collection activities against me.
      The world's simplest C & D Letter:
      "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
      Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X