want to avoid having collectors call relatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

want to avoid having collectors call relatives

I know that I do not have to answer the phone when a collection agency calls, but I want them to know that they can reach me or my attorney. I've been having collectors call my mom, my dad, my brother, my brother in law and even my 80 year old Grandma. What makes me really mad, is they all have my contact info.
    I asked one woman when she called, why her agency called by brother. She said, she didn't have my number. I asked her if my brother gave it to her? She said no. I then asked her how she now has my phone number. She never did answer me.
    Do they do this just to harrass? And if they have contact info for me, is it "legal" for them to call my relatives. I don't know, however, how I prove if they do or don't have the info. they need. I guess to make a long story short, do I speak with the agencies so they don't call my relatives or not?

momma,

I went through this myself. I have found that answering the calls and speaking to someone will usually stop them from calling again that day. I confirm that it is me, ask their name and callback number, and tell them I'll have my attorney call them, then hang up before they have a chance to say anything else. I tried giving my attorney's info and telling them to call the attorney, but that just led to more questions. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by brokemomma View Post
      I know that I do not have to answer the phone when a collection agency calls, but I want them to know that they can reach me or my attorney.
      True. You are not required to answer.

I've been having collectors call my mom, my dad, my brother, my brother in law and even my 80 year old Grandma. What makes me really mad, is they all have my contact info.
      Even if they have all of your contact information, they may not believe it to be accurate if you never answer the phone. Therefore, they are searching for verified/valid contact information.

I asked one woman when she called, why her agency called by brother. She said, she didn't have my number. I asked her if my brother gave it to her? She said no. I then asked her how she now has my phone number. She never did answer me.
      There are many ways to obtain your phone number. And... a good collector never gives out their sources. More than likely, someone gave you up.

Do they do this just to harrass?
      Yes. To get you to pay your bill. They are just doing their job, regardless of how you view what they do for a living.

And if they have contact info for me, is it "legal" for them to call my relatives. I don't know, however, how I prove if they do or don't have the info. they need. I guess to make a long story short, do I speak with the agencies so they don't call my relatives or not?
      They can call anyone they want to try and obtain information about you. They can not discuss your debt or why they are calling, but they can seek information.

If you want for the calls to everyone else to stop, then you need to speak with them once or twice a month and verify your contact information. If they can not ever reach you, they will try reaching you by contacting your relatives, neighbors, and any other contacts that are associated with you.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I've answered or returned every call I've ever recieved to avoid collectors contacting my relatives. I always tell them the same thing, I've retained a lawyer who is now handling all of our financial information. I'm always very polite and give attorneys name and number. And yet, they still call my relatives. Do these people work on commission? If so, I now understand their plight but I still disagree with their methods. Leeches!

Comment

Most of the information you gave them yourself when you applied for the credit/loans, etc. - remember being asked to provide the name and contact information for your nearest relative not living with you? Also, this is the age of the internet and anyone can find anyone with the click of a mouse. People post so much information about themselves online in social forums and also on family tree sites or personal forums. So it's easy to answer your inquiries as to where they got the contact information for your relatives.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Someone on the forum had the theory that collectors call relatives to shame/pressure debtors into paying. I believe that.
            There are two secrets for success in life:
            1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

If you are being represented by an attorney, and if you have informed the collectors of that fact, they shouldn't be calling you or your relatives. They can still try to collect until you actually file, but those collection efforts should be directed to your attorney. (Yes, the law carves out a loophole in the event the attorney does not respond within "a reasonable time," but most collectors aren't quite so reckless as to interpret that in such an absurd way as to risk an FTC sanctions.)

If you can prove that one of the collectors who you've informed of your attorney's contact information is calling your friends and relatives, then go ahead and file a complaint against them with the FTC. You may even make a few bucks in the process.

Or you can just do what I did: I told every friend and relative I could think of who collectors might call, to be friendly to the collectors, and then to gladly give them my attorney's phone number.

My home phone number was also a Magic Jack number, which sends voice mail messages as email attachments, which I promptly forwarded to my lawyer. Some of the messages were quite spicy, and the collectors were dumb enough to provide their names and phone numbers just to prove who left them.

Needless to say, those particular collectors never bothered me again once my attorney got the copies.

-Rich
              Filed Chapter 7: 8/24/2010. Discharged: 12/01/2010
              Member and Exalted Grand Master: American Sarcasm Society (A.S.S.).

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X