They found me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They found me.

I defaulted almost three months ago, but not before changing the phone number they had on record, which was my cell number, to my home number, which is hooked up to a fax machine. And, because I don't receive faxes--I only send them, once in a blue moon--I've had the machine turned off. I imagine that, for the past three months, they've been calling and getting that infernal fax beep.

Anyway, just a few minutes ago, I got a call on my cell, and the Caller ID said "Unavailable", so I knew who it was. When I answered, the collector seemed reluctant to identify herself. She just kept asking, "Is this _______?" I replied, "Can you please identify yourself?" and, once she did, I confirmed that I was the person she was trying to reach.

Then, she said, "You're $XXXX.XX behind, so how about setting up a payment plan over the phone, and getting caught up?" I just told her that I refuse to discuss my finances over the phone, and have a nice day. Then, I hung up.

I wonder if they're going to just keep calling, or if, since I refused to work with them today, they're going to get ugly, tomorrow. I'm planning on filing Chapter 7 early next year.
    Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
    Discharged! June 28, 2012
    Closed! August 8, 2012

Yeah, some of them have found me too. I just don't pick up. No law that says you have to answer your phone- at least I don't think so lol.They've called my folks a few times, who told them not to call anymore. No biggie.

Early next year is literally around the corner. They may keep calling, but I wouldn't worry about it.

If you have a smart phone you can reroute to GV or your fax or ignore it.
    If you have a dumbphone like me you can either set it to silent ring or just not pick up.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
      Yeah, some of them have found me too. I just don't pick up. No law that says you have to answer your phone- at least I don't think so lol.They've called my folks a few times, who told them not to call anymore. No biggie.

Early next year is literally around the corner. They may keep calling, but I wouldn't worry about it.

If you have a smart phone you can reroute to GV or your fax or ignore it.
      If you have a dumbphone like me you can either set it to silent ring or just not pick up.
      I won't be picking up often. I did it this time, so that they would know they found me, and hopefully not call my family or friends.

She was so rude, though!
      Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

I think they must go to the Collector's School of Asshattery to learn how to be THAT rude.
        ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
        Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
          I think they must go to the Collector's School of Asshattery to learn how to be THAT rude.
          Yeah, she definitely read the handbook.
          Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

The BEST part of filing - is telling folks like her that you filed and giving her the case number.

I told the evil wench from NavyFederal after I gave her the pertinent info that: "I need to thank you - because your attitude inspired me to invoke my constitutional right to file for bankruptcy protection. Have a nice day!" Hubby spit coffee across the kitchen table when he heard me say that.
            ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
            Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Get a google phone number. Great for rejecting and screening calls and lots of other tools.

Logan

Comment

The BEST part of filing - is telling folks like her that you filed and giving her the case number.

I told the evil wench from NavyFederal after I gave her the pertinent info that: "I need to thank you - because your attitude inspired me to invoke my constitutional right to file for bankruptcy protection. Have a nice day!" Hubby spit coffee across the kitchen table when he heard me say that.
                I spit coffee just reading this!
                Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

lol
                  love it

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

That is AWESOME Valle!!!!

Comment

'hats, if you're filing EARLY next year - say by March, they can't really catch you...so to speak...

Originally posted by lotsahats View Post
                      I defaulted almost three months ago, but not before changing the phone number they had on record, which was my cell number, to my home number, which is hooked up to a fax machine. And, because I don't receive faxes--I only send them, once in a blue moon--I've had the machine turned off. I imagine that, for the past three months, they've been calling and getting that infernal fax beep.

Anyway, just a few minutes ago, I got a call on my cell, and the Caller ID said "Unavailable", so I knew who it was. When I answered, the collector seemed reluctant to identify herself. She just kept asking, "Is this _______?" I replied, "Can you please identify yourself?" and, once she did, I confirmed that I was the person she was trying to reach.

Then, she said, "You're $XXXX.XX behind, so how about setting up a payment plan over the phone, and getting caught up?" I just told her that I refuse to discuss my finances over the phone, and have a nice day. Then, I hung up.

I wonder if they're going to just keep calling, or if, since I refused to work with them today, they're going to get ugly, tomorrow. I'm planning on filing Chapter 7 early next year.

Comment

If you're going to be filing early next year, I would send them a cease and desist letter to get them to stop calling, so you don't have to cringe every time the phone rings during the holiday season.

Even if they filed a lawsuit immediately (very unlikely), they wouldn't get a judgment before you could have a chance to file bankruptcy.

In all the many, many times I have sent cease and desist letters, I only had one of them ignore it and keep calling. It works very well, most of the time, even on Original Creditors.

Just make sure you send it to the correspondence address, not the payment address.
                        The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                        "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                        Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Since I defaulted over a year ago on about 7 cards, I have probably gotten a couple thousand calls. Have a call blocker program on my Blackberry that works well enough. Thing is I have never spoken to the first one. One time I picked up because I was expecting a local call and it was a local number calling, but after I heard the voice I knew it was a collector. I then said they had the wrong number, but the lady knew it was me and I just hung up. They've called my parents house alot as I use to have that number on file with some of the cards. Even heard my brother got called a few times. Thing is, I can't pay anything, and you cant squeeze blood out of a turnip, so its a waste of my time and theirs to have any kind of conversation about it. As someone said, you are not obligated to answer any phone call if you dont want to speak to them, so they can call all they want. The only time I see they call is when I check the logs of the call block program. Its a good program to have if you have a compatible phone and only costs a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by CCM620 View Post
                            Since I defaulted over a year ago on about 7 cards, I have probably gotten a couple thousand calls. Have a call blocker program on my Blackberry that works well enough. Thing is I have never spoken to the first one. One time I picked up because I was expecting a local call and it was a local number calling, but after I heard the voice I knew it was a collector. I then said they had the wrong number, but the lady knew it was me and I just hung up. They've called my parents house alot as I use to have that number on file with some of the cards. Even heard my brother got called a few times. Thing is, I can't pay anything, and you cant squeeze blood out of a turnip, so its a waste of my time and theirs to have any kind of conversation about it. As someone said, you are not obligated to answer any phone call if you dont want to speak to them, so they can call all they want. The only time I see they call is when I check the logs of the call block program. Its a good program to have if you have a compatible phone and only costs a few bucks.
                            You're right. If you don't have the money, it is a waste of time talking about it. If the calls get to be too much for me, I'll do something to make them shut up. But, I wanted to let them know that they found the right person. One of my chief concerns was that they might find my husband at work, and get him fired.

Plus, it was fun letting this woman know I wasn't scared of her.
                            Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

By sending them a cease and desist letter, they will stop calling you, your husband at work, your relatives, your neighbors, your employer, your landlord, etc.

It is the most effective way to accomplish that.

I have heard of quite a number of people complaining about debt collectors calling them at work, or calling their parents' home phone about their debt, even after the debtor answered their own home phone number and let the creditors know they had the right phone number.

Why? They aren't always trying to locate someone when they call these other numbers. They know it embarasses people and they hope it will make them cough up the money to avoid any further calls.

But if you can't pay, the best thing to do is send them a cease and desist communications letter.

It is the only way, other than filing bankruptcy, to get the phone calls to stop.

It gave me so much peace and quiet when I was going through all of this, and so I like to pass the word on to everyone who reads this forum.
                              The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                              "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                              Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X