top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much will I have for personal property since I do not own a house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much will I have for personal property since I do not own a house.

Here are indianas excemptions. How much will I have to for exemption on personal property since I do not own a house.

Indiana bankruptcy exemptions. Find out the property you can keep after filing bankruptcy in Indiana.

It seems to me from what I read it is about 10k including the wild care is that true.

From what I can tell, you are entitled to the wildcard, and it is $8,000 (Indiana Code 34-55-10-2(b)(2)). Married couples filing jointly may double.

First, the link you point to is out of date. Second you have to read the qualifier on "personal property" in IC 34-55-10-2(b)(1) which covers the "homestead" exemption. It reads... "Real estate or personal property constituting the personal or family residence of the debtor...". So, it's not just any personal property. That personal property must be a residence. I believe it is written this way to cover mobile homes and trailers, not to cover "any" personal property. So, you can't use the $15,000 homestead exemption on "personal property" that is not a residence.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

So is it 8k married o 8k single as I am single.
      Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      From what I can tell, you are entitled to the wildcard, and it is $8,000 (Indiana Code 34-55-10-2(b)(2)). Married couples filing jointly may double.

First, the link you point to is out of date. Second you have to read the qualifier on "personal property" in IC 34-55-10-2(b)(1) which covers the "homestead" exemption. It reads... "Real estate or personal property constituting the personal or family residence of the debtor...". So, it's not just any personal property. That personal property must be a residence. I believe it is written this way to cover mobile homes and trailers, not to cover "any" personal property. So, you can't use the $15,000 homestead exemption on "personal property" that is not a residence.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtim6656 View Post
        So is it 8k married o 8k single as I am single.
        It is $8K single or married filing singly.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

That is enough. That should cover enough on my jeep for the equity and should leave enough for the rest of my stuff.
          Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          It is $8K single or married filing singly.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X