top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You CAN vote if your home is foreclosed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You CAN vote if your home is foreclosed!

Please don't believe the misleading news reports suggesting that if you're in foreclosure you somehow forfeit your voting rights. You certainly CAN vote...all you need to do is get your address changed. One quick phone call.

In case anyone missed my blizzard of postings about this last week, here's the original post

29 states have registration deadlines next week. Don't forget! If you're already registered, but have moved because of a foreclosure, all you have to do is call your Board of Elections and change your address.

Alabama: Fri, Oct. 24
    Alaska: Sun, Oct. 5 (postmark by Sat, Oct. 4)
    Arizona: Mon, Oct. 6
    Arkansas: Mon, Oct. 6
    California: Mon, Oct. 20
    Colorado: Mon, Oct. 6
    Connecticut: Tues, Oct. 21
    Delaware: Sat, Oct. 11
    District of Columbia: Mon, Oct. 6
    Florida: Mon, Oct. 6
    Georgia: Mon, Oct. 6
    Hawaii: Mon, Oct. 6
    Idaho: Register at Polls
    Illinois: Tues, Oct. 7
    Indiana: Mon, Oct. 6
    Iowa: Fri, Oct. 24 (or on Election Day at polling place)
    Kansas: Mon, Oct. 20
    Kentucky: Mon, Oct. 6
    Louisiana: Mon, Oct. 6
    Maine: Tue, Oct. 21 (or on Election Day at polling place)
    Maryland: Tue, Oct. 14
    Massachusetts: Wed, Oct. 15
    Michigan: Mon, Oct. 6
    Minnesota: Same Day Registration at polling place
    Mississippi: Mon, Oct. 6
    Missouri: Wed, Oct. 8
    Montana: Mon, Oct. 6 (or same day at elections office)
    Nebraska: Fri, Oct. 24 (mail by Fri, Oct. 17)
    Nevada: Tue, Oct. 14
    New Hampshire: Same Day
    New Jersey: Tues, Oct. 14
    New Mexico: Tues, Oct. 7
    New York: Fri, Oct. 10
    North Carolina: Fri, Oct. 10
    North Dakota: none!
    Ohio: Mon, Oct. 6
    Oklahoma: Fri, Oct. 10
    Oregon: Tue, Oct. 14
    Pennsylvania: Mon, Oct. 6
    Rhode Island: Sat, Oct. 4
    South Carolina: Sat, Oct. 4
    South Dakota: Mon, Oct. 20
    Tennessee: Mon, Oct. 6
    Texas: Mon, Oct. 6
    Utah: Mon, Oct. 6 or in person Tue, Oct. 28
    Vermont: Wed, Oct. 29
    Virginia: Mon, Oct. 6
    Washington: Sat, Oct. 4 (or until Mon, Oct. 20 in person)
    West Virginia: Wed, Oct. 15
    Wisconsin: Wed, Oct. 15 (or on Election Day at polling place)
    Wyoming: Can register at polls
    Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
    341 meeting: July 18, 2008
    last day for objections: September 16, 2008
    DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

That's just pathetic if anyone would even suggest you can't vote if you're in foreclosure. WOW.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      That's just pathetic if anyone would even suggest you can't vote if you're in foreclosure. WOW.
      I could hardly believe it, so I've decided to become a nuisance here until the election.

I don't care how people vote (well, I do...a LOT, but that's not the point!), but I can't just sit here and let folks who are already beaten down miss the most important election of our lives because of this misinformation/propaganda.

So if you'll all bear with me, I'll keep bumping this thread every week. I do think it's relevant to this forum.

Comment

ok, I am in Ohio. Your list states that in Ohio I have until October 6. I am still living in my(the banks) house. I am signing the lease on my new apartment October 15th. A sale date has not been set on my house (the stay was lifted Sept 18). Since I am in the same town will I be able to vote? Can I register with the new address even though I have not signed the lease yet? I'm sure I am not the only one history that has moved this close to the election. Can they actually say that if you move within a month of the election you cannot vote?

Comment

Originally posted by truckerswife View Post
          ok, I am in Ohio. Your list states that in Ohio I have until October 6. I am still living in my(the banks) house. I am signing the lease on my new apartment October 15th. A sale date has not been set on my house (the stay was lifted Sept 18). Since I am in the same town will I be able to vote? Can I register with the new address even though I have not signed the lease yet? I'm sure I am not the only one history that has moved this close to the election. Can they actually say that if you move within a month of the election you cannot vote?
          I was just thinking about you, Truckerswife! Just this minute saw another article about voting in Ohio: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the..._vote_win.html

To answer your question, though, no, no, NO - they certainly cannot prevent you from voting. Just call your board of elections - I sent you a link to the contact info for every one in OH last week. Tell them you're moving (the foreclosure is totally irrelevant; you don't even have to mention it). Tell them the dates, the addresses, and tell them you want to be sure you can vote in the election. They'll take care of you. It looks as if you might even be able to vote early, according to the link above. Whatever...just vote!

Less than a week before the last presidential election, I moved 2,500 miles, from Ohio to the west coast - and I was moving to a log cabin in the wilderness, off the grid, and with no street address, no mail delivery. I had an Ohio driver's license, no local ID, no local bank account, no job (we were caretaking the cabin) - nothing. I called my local (Ohio) Board of Elections before I left, and you'd better believe I voted.

Comment

Thanks WoodSprite. Personally I haven't made up my mind how I am voting. I just know I don't have a right to complain if I don't bother to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by truckerswife View Post
              Thanks WoodSprite. Personally I haven't made up my mind how I am voting. I just know I don't have a right to complain if I don't bother to vote.
              Glad to help, no matter how you decide to vote. I just could not BELIEVE they were allowing people to think they could lose their homes and their voting rights too.

Good luck with the move.

Comment

If you are staying in the same area you can often go vote in your old district if you don't get your registration changed in time. Or you can sometimes do an absentee vote in your old district if you can't get things changed.

Last election we had moved and forgotten to change our voter registration when we called court house they told us just to drive across town and vote in our old district and to be sure to get a form to change our voter registration while we were there.
                Filed: 10/26/2006
                Discharged: 03/05/2007
                Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

If you're house is going into foreclosure that should give you even more incentive to vote IMO.
                  URL Removed by Admin

Comment

Originally posted by domaingamer View Post
                    If you're house is going into foreclosure that should give you even more incentive to vote IMO.
                    Retained my attorney 09.27.08
                    Filing Ch. 7 02.23.09
                    341 Meeting 03.25.09 :unsure
                    Discharge 05.27.09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X