Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long have you stayed in your home?

I'm wondering because of my situation, see my post below if you like titled
    ' Home was on Foreclosure.com, now it's not!?
    I'm going on 5 months without a payment and although it's nice not to, I don't like it! I feel weird not paying a mortgage, almost like I'm a thief...
    But I'm going to stay as long as I can, would like to know how others in the same situation lived it.

Have you even received a notice of default yet?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Hi plntlvr.....we made our last payment in May of 2008, we are in CA. We filed Ch 7 June 30th. We made the choice to move out in July of '08, but keep up with the house, check the mail there, water the lawn, keep the other stuff on, etc.. It is now Jan '09. We received the NOD dated 12/18. We assume the drop-dead date to be somewhere around April 1st, 2009....now just WHO is the fool remains to be seen. That April Fool's date just seems filled with irony for me.

Comment

We are in MO. Filed Oct. 31. current on all. Nov. 1 missed first payment. Lender filed for relief and that court date is tomorrow. We supposedly have to be out by the end of Feb. I wish I had CA's timeline to work with. We sure could use and extra 30 days!

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          Have you even received a notice of default yet?
          HI justbroke, No I haven't received anything but a statement from countrywide with late fees and it saying they have the right to default my loan. Guess they're still hoping I'll pay up! The whole thing is very unsettling!

Comment

Wow, no notice of default yet? We got ours three or four months after we quit paying the mortgage and the trustee sale notice was sent the following month. But, then the trustee sale has been postponed twice now.

I never thought of a person still living in their home and not paying their mortgage as a "thief," but now that you bring that up, I'd say it's more in the neighborhood of squatting. HOWEVER, I think that is a good thing as long as you're taking care of the house. Nothing worse than moving out and having someone trash the place.

We found a new residence immediately after deciding to duck out on our payments and it's going on 10 months now since the house was vacated. Our house was nice and originally was over $500,000. Now the yard is a disaster and a few of the trees have been destroyed due to weather. Also, there are rats in the garden house! BLECH!

Comment

I moved out right before I defaulted. That was one year ago. Now I'm sorry I didn't stay. There's still no auction date and I could have saved so much money in the meantime... but I panicked. Oh well.

Comment

Hi plantlover, I'm still in my home; foreclosure proceedings have begun and I could stay here for at least 6 more months if I wanted to. BUT. I am moving out in a month or two because I like having things "settled." It's worth it to me to have a plan and a timeline that I set. I plan on only taking the things I want, trying to sell the others while the foreclosure drones on and, if they don't sell, leaving them for the bank to take care of. At first I felt bad about that, but then I read about people making money with their "trash out" businesses on foreclosed homes, so I figure I'm giving some people an honest day's work by leaving my stuff behind.

Comment

I thought about that too wonkette, what am I going to do with all my 'stuff'.I'm going to try to either donate it or have a yard sale when the time comes. But I'm still keeping my house clean and will till I move out, would never purposely trash a place.
                  I feel better about staying here for 'free' since it's better than leaving a vacant home to fall into disrepair or worse!

Comment

I know! I can't believe that people rip out appliances, wiring, etc. The term "trash out" is just what they call it when people come to load up what is left behind. Kind of an insulting name, I guess, but what can you do. It kills me that I spend SO much time/effort sprucing the place up trying to sell it and all that hard work was in vain. Ah well.

Comment

I have not made a payment on one house since Dec 07, and still no LP or anything filed. I don't live there, but it is down the street from me, so I keep an eye on it, keeping up the utilities, pool and lawn. The insurance was just cancelled for non-payment though.

The house I live in, I have not made a payment since Aug 08, no LP (same lender), no phone calls. Just a statement each month with late fees accruing.

I have asked the lender to work with me on a modification for both homes. I received a good decent mod for the old home (empty) but nothing on my home that I want to keep.

Comment

Citysh,

I feel the same way. I moved out of my house after I missed two payments and it took about 14 months to foreclosed. I feel so stupid for leaving early but I panicked too.

Comment

Hi all, Hearts here. We have not made a payment since Aug. 08 and no NOD. Had been trying to get a mod so that we could keep the house, but no. Just saw a BK attorney today and he said it could be 12 months from the time that we receive the notice of default from the lender that we would need to be out of the house. We'll see I guess. It is hard to start over but ... wow...

Comment

Hi Hearts, can I ask what State you live in? I'm in California which is a non-judicial State. Was wondering if foreclosures take longer in judicial States or is it just because there are so many foreclosures to deal with is the reason it takes so long?

Comment

I am just learning about the foreclosure laws here, so I won't be much help yet. I live in ILLINOIS>

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X