Property Tax & Condo Fees after Chapter 7 discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property Tax & Condo Fees after Chapter 7 discharge

My chapter 7 was filed last June and discharged last week.
    Here is my my situation.

1. I moved out last August from my condo in NJ.
    2. Since then I was not able to pay condo fee because i have to pay rent now.
    3. Also, I have received a property tax bill from the town office last week for 3rd quarter payment.
    4. Before the discharge, all my condo fees were current, no outstanding balances.
    5. Before the discharge, the lender have paid the property taxes that were escrowed, so i never had separate billing from the borough. But now the lender might have contacted the tax office and had them directly bill me, I guess.
    6. The condo is now in foreclosure procedure.

Questions now.

Q1. Do I need to pay for those taxes and condo fees?
    Q2. If I won't be able to pay for those, what happens?
    Q3. My friend says the condo association and the town will put liens on my deed and, when the lender sells the property in the future, the lender will have to resolve this issue, meaning this will be the lender's responsibility, not mine. Is this true?

Please advise. Thanks.

Everything I've read says the property taxes are attached to the property, so if you don't pay them and the title changes hands, the new owner is responsible for past property taxes.

The condo fees owed up to the day you filed are wiped out by the bankruptcy. Unfortunately, you are financially responsible for the condo fees that you owed starting the day AFTER you filed.
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

keepit is correct on this one....you will continue to be responsible for the HOA fees until the deed is transferred out of your name.

you are no longer responsible for the taxes ....i would not even concern yourself, but usually it's the bank and they pass it on to the "new" owners.

then cannot put a lien after your mortgage was already discharged....if they do...contact your atty asap.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

If I will be responsible for the HOAs after BK file date, maybe I can rent my condo to someone and pay the condo fee from the rent proceeds. But do you think I can legally lease the surrendered condo to others? If the foreclosure sale is completed during the lease period, can the prospective tenant still be staying until the lease end?

Comment

Originally posted by nycdk View Post
          If I will be responsible for the HOAs after BK file date, maybe I can rent my condo to someone and pay the condo fee from the rent proceeds. But do you think I can legally lease the surrendered condo to others? If the foreclosure sale is completed during the lease period, can the prospective tenant still be staying until the lease end?
          i would not likely think taking the rent on a property you know is going or in foreclosure and you have surrendered would be wise to rent.

actually the renter could have some legal issues and recourse against you if you leave them in a position where they would be thrown out by the bank after you rec'd money. not a very good place for you to be. also if the trustee found out you were pocketing monies it could come back to bite you.
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X