Where do I find this info for Lawyer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I find this info for Lawyer?

I am retaining an attorney to file chapter 7 on tuesday. He said I will need the following info about my creditors?

Name/address
    Account #
    Purpose of Debt
    Last Purchase
    Date of Last purchase
    Date debt was incurred
    Balance

How can I find out what the last purchase was and the date I purchased it if I did not save my credit card statements? If I call the creditors would they tell me?

Thanks

I would find another lawyer, most will run a credit report and find this information for you.

Comment

I ran my credit report but the last item purchased and the date it was purchased is not on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ezgo68 View Post
        I ran my credit report but the last item purchased and the date it was purchased is not on it.
        Your lawyer is trying to ensure that you made no large or extragavant charges in the last 90 days before filing and haven't paid a creditor more than $600 in the last 90 days (other than a legitimate payment that matches the amount due). If you want to file this Tuesday and you didn't save the credit card billing statements, then you have two options - check the statements online if your creditor has this capability, or depend on your memory. If you know you made charges within the last 90 days on any of your cards or paid a creditor more than a total of $600 in the last ninety days, be sure to tell your lawyer which cards and what the purchases or payments were. The last thing you want to do is file and then have your trustee file a fraudulent or 'filed in bad faith' charge. This is exactly what your lawyer is trying to prevent - a very good thing!
        Last edited by lrprn; 02-18-2007, 04:54 PM.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

One other thing you may want to consider is that in many circumstances a trustee or US trustee will ask to see all documentation regarding your debt... that would include copies of your statements. Thus, if you can get them cheap or free... you might want to request copies of your credit card statements anyway... thus if the trustee(s) ask for them... you already have them.

It may not happen to you and you may not need them.... but there's no such thing as being OVER prepared.

I only bring this up as we DID get asked for this and were ready for it and sent off over 4 years of statements... filed in date order by account, to the US trustee within a week of their request... and thus our bk went smooth as silk and was discharged and closed right on time with no delays.

Good luck!
          Filed Ch. 7 Pro-Se: 10/12/06
          341: 11/6/06 (went AMAZINGLY well!)
          Discharge: 1/12/07
          Closed:1/19/07

Comment

Thanks everyone! I know I didn't buy anything significant in the last ninety days with the credit cards. Most of them haven't been used in over six months. We were using one up until December for groceries and eating out.

One more question. When you say not paying a creditor more than $600 in the last 90 days, that doesn't include the mortgage does it? My mortgage is $900 per month.

Comment

You can often get your credit card statement on line and look at it..... just like your bank statements are on line......

All you need is you account number.......

This may help you.....
              Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

My lawyer required me to provide all that info even though it was on my credit report that they pulled. I think it was to make sure that I was aware of all my debt, the amount, who I owed, etc. I used my credit report, I searched for info on the web that wasn't available on my credit report and used old statements from creditors.
                Filed Ch. 7 - 11/30/06; 341 meeting 1/10/07; Discharged 3/19/07
                TU: 535

Comment

Originally posted by ezgo68 View Post
                  One more question. When you say not paying a creditor more than $600 in the last 90 days, that doesn't include the mortgage does it? My mortgage is $900 per month.
                  No, the $600 total limit doesn't include secured payments like your mortgage, taxes, or car payments - you can relax about that! It also doesn't include a pre-filing payment to a non-insider, non-secured creditor if the amount is what the creditor was asking for as the monthly payment (although paying a non-secured creditor anything when a debtor knows they are certain to file in 4-5 months is beyond me. You'd be better off making a bonfire with the hard-earned money and toasting marshmallows for s'mores! )
                  Last edited by lrprn; 02-19-2007, 04:33 PM.
                  I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                  06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                  07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                  10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                  01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                  09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                  06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                  08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                  Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Our lawyer wanted the address from our statements for the mailing matrix. He mentioned that the address you find on the credit report is often not accurate. Getting the address off the statement ensures that you indead have the correct office / department you account is handled through.
                    I'm sure you could call the company for that information.
                    Filed: 10/26/2006
                    Discharged: 03/05/2007
                    Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

Our attny used every address we could give him for every Creditor.

The address CC payments went to. The address for customer contact like letters of dispute and such. The Overnight payment mail address. Any addresses from any 3rd party Collections agencies Creditors had hired. Any address we had connected with any acct.

Our attny's line of thinking was notify them all. He'd had, in the past, CA's come back on clients supposedly because "they didn't know" about the BK filing.

And,........ As Lrprn advised,.......... Continue making payments on your mortgage, car, utilities,........... any accts you wish to continue doing business with such as doctors, dentists, and such.
                      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                      Discharged - 12/2006
                      Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                      Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X