5 months post Ch 7 BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 months post Ch 7 BK

Well, here we are, 4 months after our Chapter 7 closed and I am very happy to report that it appears that we really did learn our lesson.

We currently have ONE credit card, a capitol one card that we use for normal expenses, but pay off every month at the end of the month. Really we use this so that we have a more limited exposure to fraud. Debit cards scare me!

Since closing our BK we have moved to upstate NY, we're renting a house that, although much older than the last house we lived in, we like a TON better. It's in a beautiful neighborhood and has an above ground swiming pool that we are just about ready to open for the season.

We're still getting used to living on a cash basis. It's both easier and harder than we thought it would be. We remember how it used to be where when we wanted something... we went and bought it, using credit, of course. Now, when we want something, it goes on the list with everything else we want... in the proper order, by priority and once it reaches the top of the list, we get it when we have the cash to do so.

It's amazing. We have more "free" cash every month than at any time in our entire lives together... and yet we sometimes feel that things are "tighter" than they were when we had $100k+ in credit card debt. My wife was wondering about this the other day and I explained to her that it was because we had gotten so used to being in debt. After all, having $!000 a month that's not "claimed" by bills sounds like a lot of cash... but when you have 4 kids who need clothes, beds (we just had to buy all 3 boys new beds... $1400 for 3 twin sets with metal frames, sheets etc. OUCH!) homeschool supplies etc. etc. When you have so many places for the cash to go, it dissappears very quickly.

"But we had less free money every month when we were in debt, why does it feel that we're TIGHTER now?" she asks. I point out that while we had less money month to month... we were using it differently. if we had $500 a month available, we were using that $500 a month not to buy what we wanted... but to pay the payments on the $20,000 - $30,000 loan that our good credit was getting us... and then spending THAT cash! Thus we SEEMED to have more money... but didn't.

All in all, we are VERY happy to be living a "cash based" life. We're rebuilding our credit slowly. Here in 3-4 months we're going to buy another car as we really need/want 2 vehicles. We'll probably get another credit card or two somewhere along the way, but we're not in a hurry and would use them the same as we use our current card. We figure that when our 2 year bankruptcy "anniversery" arrives, we'll be ready to breeze through getting a mortgage and be homeowners once again.

Bottom line: Life is good. Bankruptcy is NOT the end of the world and, if used properly, can really and truly give you that "fresh start" to start over and avoid all the dumb things you did the first time around.

Sorry for posting so long, but I got a lot of help from this site and I wanted to let everyone know how we were doing post-bk and to let the "newbies" know that there really IS life after BK.

LostOne0069
    Last edited by LostOne0069; 05-14-2007, 09:58 AM.
    Filed Ch. 7 Pro-Se: 10/12/06
    341: 11/6/06 (went AMAZINGLY well!)
    Discharge: 1/12/07
    Closed:1/19/07

Sounds like you are a lot happier! I have been living on a cash basis only for the past two years and, frankly, I wish I had done it sooner. I find it to be incredibly liberating

Congrats!!

P

Comment

I know exactly how your wife feels, Lost.

Every month we have some sort of unexpected bill. Car repairs, tires for 2 cars, medical bills, auto insurance premiums, we also bought a bed for one of our kids. You name it, it comes up.

We've gotten a couple CC's each. We use them for car repair bills. Then we pay in full or divide the amount by half. Pay part one month and the rest the next.

And now we're car shopping. Daughter wrecked the family car. Back in the day, we woulda just gone out, without a lot of thought or research, and bought something. Now, I'm so terrified of making a mistake, picking the wrong car, and hate the thought of taking on a payment that shopping is no fun at all.
      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
      Discharged - 12/2006
      Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
      Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

I hear what you are saying. DH and I had the "why do we have less money now" conversation this weekend. DH just does not get it either. He cannot see that now we pay cash for everything and have no debt at all.

Well, lets see, before we had all he money in the world because we put gas, groceries, and anything else we WANTED on a cc.

I do miss actually going shopping. I have not been to a mall in a year now. Now we actually have to have money in the bank, dang it.

We are soooo much better off now, he just cannot see it. He can't get past, I want it and cant have it.

Comment

It's a lot different spending cash than it is spending on credit. If you have a hundred bucks, then that's what you have. When spending on credit, it was very easy to spend more than I planned on spending. Typical scenario would be the $ 100.00 Wal-Mart visits - go there for a package of thumbtacks and come out with a basketful... Prices so low it's almost FREE!

Since Wal-Mart made all the Mom & Pop stores extinct around here, it's the only place TO go when you need hardware, etc. I used to never be able to get out of there without spending at least $ 100.00.

Now that I use cash, I go in and get out with what I came for.

Cash makes you a thriftier person, no doubt about it! That tight feeling is YOU becoming a tightwad!

;^)

Comment

For me it feels tighter because now are spending more money on the things that we should be spending on. My husband had dental work and on top of our insurance cost us 800.00. 2 years ago, we wouldn't have been able to do that, but for some reason it feel "different" to spend the cash. Weird thing......
            Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

So good to hear from you Lostone...

Thanks for posting about your post BK life.
              My hubby and I were just talking about, despite 800$$ a month paymentswe seem poorer than ever. It, for us is pre planning expenses and envelope budgeting thats casing us to be broke.. We use to rely on the CC for emergencys and groceries. Now it is all cash. My daughters both decided to grow, again, meaning I had to go buy clothes..again. I went to Target this time and not mall stores & catalogs. I saved about $100-$200 bucks there. My older daughter was upset but thats life. She did end up finding wearable stuff she liked at Target!! I want to have an extra fund also so when I find clothes marked down at more expensive stores I can pick them up.
              Great news on moving to NY. Sounds like you go a nice place to live now!!
              WAM
              ch7 8/07 CLOSED: 11/07 Rebuilding and saving.
              WAMU unsecured $2,000 Capital One unsecured $500
              PAID OFF MONTHLY!!!

Comment

AWWWWWWWW, I LOVE to hear "success" stories...............and what's happening later down the road, after BK.....

Thanks for sharing with all of us.......... I'm sure it has given many that "extra boost" they need right now to continue on their path.....

Yes, there is life after bankruptcy............... and how we plan it and live it.....will determine if its GOOD OR NOT.........

Minny
                Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X