Is it ok to get job before filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it ok to get job before filing?

I have been underemployed for a couple of years and have made well under $40k/yr. I am planning on filing ch 7 bankruptcy within a few months. Is it a good or bad idea for me to get a well-paying job before filing? Such a job might pay me anywhere from $50-80k, while the income threshold in my state is probably about $40k.

Is it only a matter of strictly passing the income test to file ch 7 (average of last 6 months' income), or would the trustee look forward to my future income as well?

Originally posted by bkbkbk View Post
    I have been underemployed for a couple of years and have made well under $40k/yr. I am planning on filing ch 7 bankruptcy within a few months. Is it a good or bad idea for me to get a well-paying job before filing? Such a job might pay me anywhere from $50-80k, while the income threshold in my state is probably about $40k.

Is it only a matter of strictly passing the income test to file ch 7 (average of last 6 months' income), or would the trustee look forward to my future income as well?
    Both chapters look to average the last 6 month's income.

However, a Chapter 13 looks forward as well projected disposable monthly income.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Bkbkbk: Yes by all means get the best job you can. Now file, man, file. You will not make the amount of money in the time you file and that will be good. Now after all is going on, when your 341 meeting comes by, there will not be much difference. Jobs are going to become scarce and if you have one, WORK it. But then do what you need to do for your new start. ‘Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X