How Did You Get Into Trouble? Our Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Did You Get Into Trouble? Our Story

I thought I would share our story and show how easy (or complicated it was depending on how you view it) to get into trouble.
    We are both retired and have a pretty good income. We both went back to work after retirement just for something to do. We liked working.
    We improved our late model mobile home with a new kitchen doing most of the work ourselves. It turned out in the long run this made it desirable but not saleable.
    Anyway we decided we wanted to travel for a few years in retirement in a motor home and it was a life long dream. I know, but we could afford it and the gas that went with it.
    We jumped out and bought a big used unit about a year+ ago and started prepping it for the way we wanted it and prepping the mobile home and our land to sell.
    In the meantime I lost my job in retirement due to a previous injury coming back to haunt me and I could no longer stand long hours on my feet or walk the distances required and had to return to retirement. No problem as my wife still had her job but now that's a requirement as we have the motor home payment too.
    So we put the home and land up for sale. No problem, we only owe less than 50% of what the homes and land in our area have been selling for. Many buyers came and went. They loved the home and the kitchen that we had nearly $22k into and the location of the land. But nobody came back.
    So one day I called banks to find out what was going on. We found out that when we moved our mobile out of a mobile home park where we were renting to our on property that we voided any VA or FHA loan guarantees and loans that went with it. That was a shock as that did away with a first time buyer and a low down payment requirements.
    We also found out that there were few lenders that were currently even doing loans on mobiles and land at all. Many I talked to told me that if the buyer had great credit and such and could pay 20-30% down against a current appraisal and pay a rate of some 8-12% interest that it could still be done. Ouch, that hurt!
    OK we are still doing OK. We can afford everything as long as the wife is still working. We will just wait until times improve and sell it later. In the meantime we have a nice motor home to vacation in.
    Then my wife developed a medical problem and she could no longer do her job. She quit but they would have terminated her anyway within a short time as she could no longer meet the requirements of her job.
    I put the home up for sale at just above what we owed on the land and the home itself. We were certain that someone would want it for half of what the two were worth just a few months before. No takers when they found out about the heavy downs and high interest rates.
    So we called two people that really wanted the home and land and told them if they could just give us a little equity they could assume both.
    Wrong! Our mobile home lien holder would not allow either one to assume.
    Now were are stuck. Our savings is going down fast, neither of us can work any longer and selling the motor home is not an option either with gas so high.
    In our case we did manage to sell just the land and at least cleared that note. The buyer was in hopes he could buy or assume the mobile but that has not happened yet and it appears the home will be removed from the property.
    We moved into a rental, turned the motor home into the lien holder and figured that BK is our only way out. We see an attorney for the first time right after Xmas.
    We should not of course have bought the motor home without first having sold the home. But hind sight does not work here and it's too late.
    Our excellent credit is gone and we are heading into a Chapter 7 filing. We are lucky enough to have our retirements (so far anyway) and they are just below the median average I am told for this area for the chapter 7 rules so we won't be stuck with an administered chapter 13.
    So goes the best laid plans for retirement. At least we have our retirement incomes and we will live OK once this additional debt is gone. We are now both disabled and our plans to travel are now very limited of course.
    I thought that sharing this might make some of you feel a little better about how you got to where you are at now.

Hi! Wow, who would of ever guessed? I am so educated now on what the institutions run on the public from all the stories. Just sick of it. They are "just business" eh

So I feel the same way now. Sounds like your BK will be smooth and you and your bride can start fresh without the stress and enjoy your retirement.

Hang in there
    Filed C7 Aug 31 2008
    341 Oct 8 2008
    Discharged Dec 9 2008

Comment

Sometimes all the planning in the world just gets you into trouble.
      But lately for our family with the jobs lost and the economy that we are in there is just no luck at all it would seem.

Comment

My Dad used to have an old saying: Without bad luck, I'd have no luck at all! LOL
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Yes and we we all know the new saying which I will not repeat here.
          However, I am tired of living in a warm pile of it!

Comment

I feel your pain kenshirley. Our situation was similar in that we speculated wrongly in selling our home. At the time we decided to relocate, our neighborhood was red hot and homes were averaging 3 weeks on market before being scooped up. Then it went ice cold a month before we left, which was too late to change our minds (we were committed @ the new residence). We crossed our fingers it wasn't a permanent dip in sales, and 3.5 years later here we are at the end of our ropes. We simply cannot maintain and continue paying for 2 properties, especially after losing our homestead on the first and taxes tripling. All this because we believed there'd be more warning before a particular market went polar. What started out a reasonable decision turned into a high risk gamble overnight. We lost.

We're still struggling with any possibility of pulling out of this before truly filing, but it isn't looking very good. I would rather do anything over filing BK, but there are no bites on our property which is priced now below the tax assessment.

Comment

Amazing how quick you can get into trouble in this economy isn't it?
              I heard this morning they are now saying that unemployment is expected to hit 9% and we will have some 4 million out of work before this is over, if not more.
              And even Xmas shopping is down lower than it's been since 1969.
              At least we are not working any longer and have a retirement income, so far anyway.

Comment

College + Credit Cards = BK
                Filed: 11/20/2008
                341 meeting: 12/22/2008
                Discharged: 03/10/2009

Comment

I like pigpen's rendition. college+cc's+trying to survive in NYcity=BK. Good lessons learned.
                  Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
                  341 July 1, 2008
                  Discharged September 4, 2008
                  Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

My story is simple but reads like many others. I made a lot of money in Real Estate after having bought a home pre-construction in 2003 and selling it in 2005 for 155% of cost. (And the profit was well over $150K.) Did I mention that I sold the house in 7 hours? It was on the market for 7 hours before my first offer. Got a counteroffer in 20 hours... and took that deal.

Thinking I was invincible, in 2006, I bought another pre-construction home in another State (for rental) and I bought a modest home in another city in Florida (about what I sold the first home for).

Long story, short version. The home I was renting out... well... the renters moved out, then I hired a management company who took 4 months and NEVER rented it (in 2007). Showed it only 2 times. So I took over... went to the other State dragging two friends. Spent the week painting the ENTIRE 2,800 sq ft home, and got a new renter a month later. Then they, last year started paying real late and practically not at all. So, since I was several States away and was real busy... I didn't notice that I was using my credit cards to survive as I had to pay the $1,550 a month to support that house. Other expenses crept up, of course, such as a new family.

In the end, I think my renters paid me all of $2,750 in 12 months. That didn't even cover the property taxes. Did I mention that the renters were relatives. (Note to self: don't rent to friends or relatives.)

So, that put me behind on mortgage. So, now I'm here.

Wish it was just that I got sick or something, but it was just that I was too timid to evict someone. (Note: in 2008, I did evict them by Notice to Quit/Vacate this past August... and they moved out in December. I'm surrendering that home in my BK.)

They did not pay one penny since the foreclosure notice was delivered to them by the Sheriff in May!!!

Oh well... lesson learned.
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X