top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vacationing while in process of bankruptcy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vacationing while in process of bankruptcy?

my BF has just told me that he is taking me on a romantic 4 night getaway out of country as a gift. i told him id love to but that i didnt even know if id be allowed because im in the process of filing. its a gift and he of corse is paying for everything....but can the trustees find out? and if so can it cause trouble?
    if so i dont want to do anything that would jeopardize the BK, does anyone know anything on this subject? or should i ask the advice of my lawyer?
    retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
    10/30/10- WEDDING!!
    09/04/09-discharged!!!

Well, I'm pretty new here and haven't seen a question like this, so I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in... but I don't see how the trustee could possible object, as you won't be spending money! Not to mention, how on earth would they even know? Enjoy...
    BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

I agree,------------go have some fun for all of us.
      It's a long 10 years

Comment

I'm not a lawyer, but I agree as well. You're not receiving any income from it so it's not like they can say you're receiving cash. I filed on 11/20 and my 341 hearing was orginally scheduled for 12/30. I called my attorney because I planned on taking a trip out of town during the holidays and they had my meeting continued. They didn't indicate that there was any problem or any flags would be raised because I was taking a trip. I wish I hadn't changed the date of my meeting though, because I'd rather have changed my trip and gotten it over with.

Comment

Go and enjoy! We took a vacation before our discharge came through and my lawyer said it was no issue.
          Yo ho, Yo ho, a pirates life for me
          Discharged 9/1/04

Comment

As others said - GO . But time it right. Preferably after discharge. Between the 341 and the actual discharge you might still be hounded for information that you may have to submit.

Comment

yeah see cause he was going to purchase everything with his credit card, but there would still be a plane ticket in my name...is there anyway they can track that?
              retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
              10/30/10- WEDDING!!
              09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bk4sky View Post
                yeah see cause he was going to purchase everything with his credit card, but there would still be a plane ticket in my name...is there anyway they can track that?

Nahhhh..............go have a blast!
                Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
                341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
                Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

if so i dont want to do anything that would jeopardize the BK, does anyone know anything on this subject? or should i ask the advice of my lawyer?
                  Just go and enjoy. If you can't go, maybe he can take me.
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

It's a gift, an informal gift, not for services. Totally legit. We don't have to record "in-kind" income. I can have friends take me to rich restaurants (if had had that many friends who could afford it) every night for a month, and it's nobody's business.

Party!

Comment

awww..thank you for the support.he wants to take me to paris for our 4 year anniversary, for 4 nights, i always told him how bad i always wanted to go there. nothing is booked yet, hes waiting on his income tax and then seeing how much more he will need, we would prob book it for may cause thats when the anny is....i dont know yet, ill let you all know if it happens.
                      10/30/10- WEDDING!!
                      09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

what about your passport(s) ? don't book an international flight unless you've got them - and i'm not sure how long the processing is for a routine passport - i mean, you can pay for an express passport but it's really expensive.

Comment

awww..thank you for the support.he wants to take me to paris for our 4 year anniversary, for 4 nights, i always told him how bad i always wanted to go there. nothing is booked yet, hes waiting on his income tax and then seeing how much more he will need, we would prob book it for may cause thats when the anny is....i dont know yet, ill let you all know if it happens.

awwwww sweet.
                          We have family that takes us out of country every now and then and was wondering the same.
                          Read the Blog: My Personal Experience With Bankruptcy

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X