Can attny add more fees to b/k??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can attny add more fees to b/k??

Consulted and retained atty a few weeks ago. Signed amt due and started payments, but I'm wondering if they can come up with any more fees then stated?? The orginal docs the atty wrote up were actually about 600 more than when the docs were printed and drawn up in office so I'm not sure why that happened, but I'm curious if anyone has had any situations like this??

Thanks
    Pattygg

Once you sign the contract with your lawyer, the stated retainer fee in the contract to file and represent you for the typical parts of your case - completing the Means Test and Schedules, representing you at the 341, for example - is set.

However, if something beyond the norm happens after filing - a creditor files an objection, the trustee objects, etc - then often it will cost more for your lawyer to deal with it for you. The nice thing is that when looking at all the bk cases filed annually, this very rarely happens in Ch 7. Ch 13s tend to have more objections filed by creditors and trustees, but that's one of the reasons a lawyer's retainer fee is higher in Ch 13.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

my lawyers verbal matched her written contract.

On the contract the set price for the BK was set, and then there was an outline for how much she charges per hour for other stuff. I think that additional info was there if I needed her for other stuff.
      Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
      Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
      341 Meeting 01/05/2009
      Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

Mine had a set amount for a "typical" ch 13. The contract also stated the fee in case the attorney had to do more work on our case, etc.
        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Same with our attorney. The fees for the "typical" 13 are spelled out including her retainer and then she specifically mentions further representations would be extra and what her hourly fee would/will be.
          Filed: 8-19-09
          341: 9-21-09
          Notice of Discharge: 11-28-09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X