auto insurance after surrendering car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto insurance after surrendering car?

Our policy just renewed end of June. We filed in April. I'm not sure, but I think in Michigan they can use our credit to determine rates. Anyway, we're going to be surrendering one of our cars after discharge...hopefully in August. If I call to cancel the insurance after the car is gone, do they request proof that we no longer have a loan on this car before they stop coverage? And if they do that, where do I get this proof? Is it going to be something that screams "FILED BK, RAISE THEIR RATES!!!"
    filed chapter 7 BK 4/27/09
    341 meeting 6/4/09
    DISCHARGED!!! 8/5/09

Originally posted by downsized View Post
    Our policy just renewed end of June. We filed in April. I'm not sure, but I think in Michigan they can use our credit to determine rates. Anyway, we're going to be surrendering one of our cars after discharge...hopefully in August. If I call to cancel the insurance after the car is gone, do they request proof that we no longer have a loan on this car before they stop coverage? And if they do that, where do I get this proof? Is it going to be something that screams "FILED BK, RAISE THEIR RATES!!!"
    You will not need any proof, just tell them you need to remove a car off your policy. It really doesn't matter to them if you still have the car, or if it has a loan on it, or whatever.

If your state allows them to use your credit score for rates, then it may go up at renewal after the BK. Progressive claims to only pull your credit at the initial policy and not at renewals, so it would also depend on your insurance company.

Comment

The insurance company can't decline cancellation because you still have the property. The only thing I've found difficult to do with insurance companies, is removing an insured person from the policy.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X