When Mom and Dad Pay for the Bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Mom and Dad Pay for the Bankruptcy

This "good news" post on when someone else pays for your bankruptcy made me wonder how should that be done if it is a gift.

Should the person paying for the bankruptcy pay the attorney directly? How do you avoid the issue of it being a gift and not a loan that would need to be included in the bankruptcy?
    Feb 2010 - Filed Chapter 7
    March 2010 - 341 Meeting
    May 2010 - Discharged
    June 2010 - Closed

Optimistic - they're sending the check directly to my attorney - so my hands are not involved at all.

He said that was a perfectly acceptable way to do it.

Parents have also insisted that they do not expect to be paid back (and are willing to swear to it. )
    Moving ahead with my fresh start!
    Ch 7 Discharge: 12/14/2009
    TT Report of No Dist! 03/31/2010
    Case CLOSED!!!: 04/28/2010

Comment

As written, I would have them pay directly and also provide a letter to the attorney indicating that it is not a gift and that they do not expect, require, or anticipate repayment as it is not a loan.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I had $14,000 in case gifts from my mom when I filed and it was all money that was deposited directly into my account. I just had to put somewhere on my forms that I had received that money as a gift and nothing was ever said about it. Mind you, it brought us close to the median but didn't take us over because we have a large family. I am not recommending you go that route and have the money paid directly to you. I am just sharing my personal experience.
        Last edited by GeG_Lost; 07-17-2009, 02:36 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X