top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If second mortgage creditor intends to f/c.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a lot of information below and I provide this from my old research on this topic... Reader beware!

In re Slack, 187 F.3d 1070, 1073-75 (9th Cir. 1999)
    “. . .[A] debt is liquidated if the amount is readily ascertainable, notwithstanding the fact that the question of liability has not been finally decided.”
    Readily ascertainable was the key in this 9th Circuit case. Scovis incorporated Slack, but also made this very telling statement.
    There [in Slack], we held that a final judgment entered in state court in an insurer's civil action against debtor, after the debtor's Chapter 13 petition was filed, could not be considered in deciding the amount of debt owed to the insurer for purposes of determining eligibility for relief.
    Even moreso, if you look carefully at Scovis, you'll see this nugget...

The Nicholes case was also 9th circuit and was also referenced in Scovis and Slack. This goes to HHMs keen observation that a "disputed" claim alone, does not remove it from the computation for purposes of eligibility under 109(e). (Nice catch HHM!)

I do agree that Scovis cuts both ways. It both defines that the Schedules should be the only source for determining eligibility under 109(e), but also allows room for making seemingly secured claims become unsecured for the purposes of eligibility.

. See In re Verdunn, 210 B.R. 621, 623-24 n. 12 (Bankr. M.D. Fla. 1997) (citations omitted). Several courts have addressed the validity of raising the issue of eligibility after confirmation of a chapter 13 plan. In those cases, the courts have concluded that confirmation is res judicata as to that issue. See, e.g., In re Nikoloutsos, 199 B.R. 624 (Bankr. E.D.Tex. 1996), aff’d on other grounds sub nom. Nikoloutsos v. Nikoloutsos, 222 B.R. 297 (E.D. Tex. 1998), rev’d on other grounds, 199F.3d 233 (5th Cir. 2000); In re Jones, 134 B.R. 274 (N.D.Ill. 1991). However, in the matter sub judice no plan proposed by the Debtor has ever been confirmed.
    See what I underlined. In these cases, the Court concluded that plan confirmation was res judicata as to the issue. So if no one raises it before confirmation... you are golden.

On the other hand, the court in In re Morton, 43 Bankr. 215 (Bankr. E.D.N.Y.1984), held that the whole portion of the debt should be considered secured for the section 109(e) computation. “The focus of section 109(e) is of debts existing at the time of filing while the focus of section 506(a) is of claims existing and allowed well beyond the filing date.” 43 Bankr. at 220. Congress did not intend that a determination of Chapter 13 eligibility be delayed until the case has substantially progressed. Post-petition events should not be considered because they often occur “after the debtor and other parties in interest have expended relatively large amounts of time, money, and effort toward the debtor’s reorganization.”
    Emphasis added is mine. Morton was a case that I was going to rely heavily on. It made sense to me, but I'm no Judge and this does seem to change depending on which District you are in.

This was going to be my fallback should the Trustee/UST go after me post-confirmation on a 109(e) eligibility objection.

The case below, Robertson, really wasn't in my favor, but I wanted to see the other side of the 109(e) debacle. I personally feel that a secured claim is a secured claim is a secured claim, unless and until adjudicated as unsecured. Otherwise, you'd have automatic lien strips and cram downs in Chapter 13s! At least, that's my argument.

http://cases.justia.com/us-court-of-...7/1070/491304/

See In re Robertson, 84 B.R. 109 (Bankr. S.D. Ohio 1988) (holding that debt must be proved to exceed the statutory limit at the time of filing) (citing In the Matter of Pearsons, 773 F.2d 751 (6th Cir. 1988) (holding that court will only look at petition to determine the amount of the debts owed)); In re Morton, 43 B.R. 215, 220 (Bankr. E.D.N.Y. 1984).
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      This is a lot of information below and I provide this from my old research on this topic... Reader beware!

Readily ascertainable was the key in this 9th Circuit case. Scovis incorporated Slack, but also made this very telling statement.

Even moreso, if you look carefully at Scovis, you'll see this nugget...

The Nicholes case was also 9th circuit and was also referenced in Scovis and Slack. This goes to HHMs keen observation that a "disputed" claim alone, does not remove it from the computation for purposes of eligibility under 109(e). (Nice catch HHM!)

I do agree that Scovis cuts both ways. It both defines that the Schedules should be the only source for determining eligibility under 109(e), but also allows room for making seemingly secured claims become unsecured for the purposes of eligibility.

See what I underlined. In these cases, the Court concluded that plan confirmation was res judicata as to the issue. So if no one raises it before confirmation... you are golden.

Emphasis added is mine. Morton was a case that I was going to rely heavily on. It made sense to me, but I'm no Judge and this does seem to change depending on which District you are in.

This was going to be my fallback should the Trustee/UST go after me post-confirmation on a 109(e) eligibility objection.

The case below, Robertson, really wasn't in my favor, but I wanted to see the other side of the 109(e) debacle. I personally feel that a secured claim is a secured claim is a secured claim, unless and until adjudicated as unsecured. Otherwise, you'd have automatic lien strips and cram downs in Chapter 13s! At least, that's my argument.
      Found this in one of the above cases -

Second, the Aldea Debt has not been shown to be contingent. A contingent liability for bankruptcy purposes is "one which the debtor will be called upon to pay only upon the occurrence or happening of an extrinsic event which will trigger the liability of the debtor to the alleged creditor." Fostvedt v. Dow (In re Fostvedt), 823 F.2d 305, 306-07 (9th Cir. 1987) (citations and quotation marks omitted). It is possible that the creditor holding the Aldea Debt could elect non-judicial foreclosure and thereby waive any deficiency claim against Debtor, but we are not aware of any authority that this possibility makes the debt itself contingent for bankruptcy purposes. See Tomlinson, 116 B.R. 80. But cf. Pacific Valley Bank v. Schwenke, 189 Cal. App. 3d 134, 140 (1987) (describing deficiency obligation as "conditional" under California law).

Comment

Well, I hope some of my past research will help someone. It's still a touchy issue and HHM correctly raised the point that the 109(e) eligibility issues vary by District. I think there is a lot of caselaw out there, but applicability and it's influence on your District is just too specific to know.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          Well, I hope some of my past research will help someone. It's still a touchy issue and HHM correctly raised the point that the 109(e) eligibility issues vary by District. I think there is a lot of caselaw out there, but applicability and it's influence on your District is just too specific to know.
          Helps tremendously - Thank you

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X