After my BK....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After my BK....

I listed a car on my bk and now that the bk is complete the bank with the lien on the car is not interested in coming and getting it...nor will they release the title's lien. How do i get rid of this car?

Why do you want to get rid of it? Just keep driving it.
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
      Why do you want to get rid of it? Just keep driving it.
      I have already replaced it and there is something wrong with it...it will not pass emissions

Comment

is it s local bank? if so can you just park in in their lot and mail them the keys? That is what I plan to do if I have this problem.
        Filed CH7 Feb 12 2010
        341 March 18
        Discharged...May 18
        Awaiting closing...

Comment

Originally posted by Dannmcg357 View Post
          is it s local bank? if so can you just park in in their lot and mail them the keys? That is what I plan to do if I have this problem.
          Its not a local bank....its a bank that is 3 states away from me. Any other options? I was thinking I could unregister it and notify the bank that I will start charging them a storage fee that will be billed out @ $25 a day...

Comment

Park it in a tow-away zone. It'll be gone before you know it!
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
              Park it in a tow-away zone. It'll be gone before you know it!
              wouldn't the towing company come after the last registered owner?

Comment

If your case has been discharged but has not actually been closed, you might file a 'motion to redeem' for $10.00 and include a proposed order with it to put them on the defensive. Then if they don't respond the judge can issue the order and you will have a court order that says you can pay $10.00 to the lien holder and the court will then order they transfer clear title to you.

If you don't want to do that, then send a letter, via certified mail return receipt requested, to the attorney for the bank/lender/lienholder telling them that they need to either take possession of the car or give you clean title to the car so you can dispose of it. That was what was used in 'In Re Pratt' against GMAC. When GMAC did not do either, Pratt's attorney filed a motion for sanctions for violating the bankruptcy discharge. It was upheld in the 1st circuit court of appeals (Main, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island) which makes it a persuasive decision in other circuits.
                Check out: http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/...4.05-2453.html

Good luck,
                William
                I am an attorney, but I am just not your attorney.
                As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by BKDefender View Post
                  If your case has been discharged but has not actually been closed, you might file a 'motion to redeem' for $10.00 and include a proposed order with it to put them on the defensive. Then if they don't respond the judge can issue the order and you will have a court order that says you can pay $10.00 to the lien holder and the court will then order they transfer clear title to you.

If you don't want to do that, then send a letter, via certified mail return receipt requested, to the attorney for the bank/lender/lienholder telling them that they need to either take possession of the car or give you clean title to the car so you can dispose of it. That was what was used in 'In Re Pratt' against GMAC. When GMAC did not do either, Pratt's attorney filed a motion for sanctions for violating the bankruptcy discharge. It was upheld in the 1st circuit court of appeals (Main, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island) which makes it a persuasive decision in other circuits.
                  Check out: http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/...4.05-2453.html

Good luck,
                  William
                  Well I have sent a request to them for clean title in exchange for a little bit of cash. I am hoping they take that and give me clear title so I can sell it...but we will see thanks for all the help

Comment

my head hurts, did the Pratts win the case or not? lol
                    I am curious how this turns out, I believe I am going to end up in the same situation with a Saturn ION with damage to the rear axle, bad tires, and under water big time.
                    Filed CH7 Feb 12 2010
                    341 March 18
                    Discharged...May 18
                    Awaiting closing...

Comment

Originally posted by Dannmcg357 View Post
                      my head hurts, did the Pratts win the case or not? lol
                      I am curious how this turns out, I believe I am going to end up in the same situation with a Saturn ION with damage to the rear axle, bad tires, and under water big time.
                      Yes, they won. The bankruptcy court ruled against them, so they appealed to the district court. The district court upheld the bankruptcy court's decision. The Pratts then appealed to the Court of Appeals who reversed the district court's ruling and "remanded" the case (meaning they sent the case back) to the bankruptcy court to determine damages that GMAC should pay to the Pratts.
                      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

yeah - what she said :-)

The take-away from that case is that now in the 1st circuit, if a lender refuses to repossess the car but refuses to let the debtor dispose of the car, then their actions are basically saying "Unless you pay me money we won't do anything" which is a demand for payment of a pre-petition debt and thus a violation of the bankruptcy stay/discharge.

--William
                        I am an attorney, but I am just not your attorney.
                        As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

ahh! Gotchya.
                          I read posts from people on here about this often so I figure it is common. I expected more problems with local finance company or small CU's rather that GMAC. Go figure
                          Last edited by Dannmcg357; 03-01-2010, 12:15 PM.
                          Filed CH7 Feb 12 2010
                          341 March 18
                          Discharged...May 18
                          Awaiting closing...

Comment

Useful info... I expect to have this problem. Have a 2002 Taurus in my driveway, only $1600ish owed but the engine is shot. USAA is the lienholder, can't drive it let alone deliver it to USAA in TX! I doubt they are going to want to invest anything in picking it up. Yet I don't want it stuck in my driveway forever.
                            Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
                            (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
                              Useful info... I expect to have this problem. Have a 2002 Taurus in my driveway, only $1600ish owed but the engine is shot. USAA is the lienholder, can't drive it let alone deliver it to USAA in TX! I doubt they are going to want to invest anything in picking it up. Yet I don't want it stuck in my driveway forever.
                              USAA is the ones I am dealing with...I owed 4K on the car they will not pick up...its a 97 es300

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X