Children's accounts at same bank, not co-signed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Children's accounts at same bank, not co-signed

Sorry for the bad title, but a while back I started up a Chase account for when I move after grad school, but after doing so my Dad informed me that Chase will likely be named if they file bk (they are currently weighing the options and etc.). I am a sole owner of the account, with no co-signer or relationship to any of their accounts (they don't even have a deposit account with Chase), but we do have the same name if that matters. Also, I rarely have more than a $100 or so as I use this account for paying CC bills since I have Chase cards.

Is it a problem to keep my account since I am not "connected" to any of their accounts, or should I bail just to be safe? The reason I mention the same name is on the off chance that the bank thinks it's one of his accounts and they don't check the SSN.

With the same name I might bail and move banks. Depends on how badly you need the $100 that sits in the account I guess. I'm cheap and don't want a single penny going to someone who's not supposed to have my money though!

There are some nice incentives for opening new accounts. LOL
    attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
    no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
    341, 05/10/2010
    discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

Another option to opening a new account is having your parents let you know the day they will file and making sure the balance is low. Then, if they mistake you for your father and freeze your account, you won't be broke while you clear things up. I would hope it wouldn't take very long to clear up that kind of mistake, but you never know.

If you don't already, keep an eye on your credit reports to make sure none of your father's creditors mistakenly report negatively on your report.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I would worry if not only your name is the same as your fathers', but so is your mailing address. They should check using SSN's on a BK petition though. It's more likely a bank levy with only name and address listed could cause the bank to freeze the wrong account.
        “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post
          I would worry if not only your name is the same as your fathers', but so is your mailing address. They should check using SSN's on a BK petition though. It's more likely a bank levy with only name and address listed could cause the bank to freeze the wrong account.
          Actually I do have the same mailing address, since I just use the home address for convenience, so that could of course become an issue. The reason I ask is that until I move in a few months I only use the Chase account to deposit my Amazon sales revenue of maybe $50-$100 (if I'm lucky) every couple weeks, and then that usually goes right to CC payments. So on the scale of things I'd think that's pretty low on their radar, but then again it's not worth hassling if every two weeks when I get my Amazon payment they hijack it. So that's my dilemma.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X