top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would chapter 7 be a match? how about 13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would chapter 7 be a match? how about 13?

Hello everyone, I only ask for advice in this forum because unfortunately I'm not done with law school otherwise I'd have more experience and do it on my own.

The situation is not mine, but rather my parents, which have been affected by so many unfortunate situations that I personally find it unbelievable to live with.

They have a house which they bought in about 2001 or so, everything was ok with that except they refinanced to get rid of some debt and the loan increased and by now that house is worth less than what they owe. (HOUSE 1)

During all that process they actually bought a second house (this was before the house market went down) and right now the property is being rented. They bought this house with the purpose to repair it and sell it but as we know now, the house is still worth less than the loan. (HOUSE 2)

Through out of the years, they have been affected by so many things.
    My father lost his job and had to undergo brain surgery for a tumor they found, he lost his job and was never able to get it back.
    My mother's hours have been cut and that's obviously yet another hit they have taken, and I cannot personally help them in anyway without harming my future plans and career.

They have some debt(CREDIT CARDS) and I'm sure some of you know the feeling of the companies trying to get paid. By now, my father has attempted every possible loan adjustment program to lower the mortgage payment but they do not get approved.
    I spoke to them about doing a CHAPTER 13 BANKRUPT PROGRAM but according to a person they spoke to, they would need to have a certain income so the judge is favorable to their financing terms; I guess all is left is Chapter 7.

Look, I know some of the questions I would ask here have been asked and answered, however, some of them are not black and white so I'll try to explain:

--- Keeping their Primary Home ---
    I've read that most of the time you can keep your house, especially if the house itself is worth LESS than what they owe. (NO EQUITY)
    This would be great and ideal; however, my father informed me that BECAUSE of the different "Mortgage adjustment programs" that he has applied to during the past 6-9 months... he owes around 40k to the bank because he was not approved.
    In other words, what he was told (I read the letters) is that he would continue to make "reduced" mortgage payments so it would not look like he was defaulting or not paying. He was to continued to pay that reduced amount until he was approved/denied; however what happened after he was denied is that he now owes the difference of the payment plus I have no idea what else and he owes about 40k to the bank.
    He was told that he needed to pay that before he could file bankruptcy or that even if he did, they would still do a "shortsale" of the house.

I suppose that HOUSE 2 and CREDIT CARDS would be filed to be paidoff by the creditors but we mostly care about this house as it is our primary residence.

Does anyone know of a specific circumstance in which a bank would object the debtor from keeping his house while owing money? I mean, it would make sense that he is filling bankruptcy because he could not keep up with the payments.

Anyhow, I hope that I did not mislead anyone or made it confusing, I know that if the house has no equity, the debtor could try and pay the debt owed but what circumstances allows the creditors to take such property by all means?

Thank you so much and feel free to PM me if you need clarifications.
    Also, I'm looking for a lawyer for them in NJ - PM me if you know any good ones, I would do it myself but bankruptcy is not my specialty.

Art

If your parents are behind $40k on their payments for their primary house, and it's worth less than they owe, they should consider discontinuing any more mortgage payments.

The money they were paying for their mortgage could be saved up and later used to move to an affordable home, or it could be used to pay an attorney to file bankruptcy for them.

They should go for a couple of free consultations with bankruptcy attorneys and get advice on how they should proceed. Good luck to you and them!
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Sorry to hear about your parents situation and I am sure they really appreciate a son like you looking out for them.

The short answer is the banks will repossess the house as collateral if the loan is not current regardless of filing for BK. Filing for BK will slow the foreclosure process, but only briefly and after his discharge he will not be responsible for the loan (and the 40K the bank says he owes). The bank will decide when to foreclose so he may have time to save up money and move somewhere else. Also, consider that if he is having difficulty paying the current mortgage he probably will never catch up and since the house is underwater he may want to just let it go and become a renter somewhere (which is probably cheaper).

The banks are not very efficient when it comes to a loan modification and are often denying justifiable requests for no real reason (as your parents have already experienced). In reality it is my belief they look at the bottom line and make a decision if it is better for them to take the house or to do the modification without consideration of the owners personal interest or well being in keeping the property. Often times they will string the bower along by telling them to make trial payments knowing that the person will not receive a modification (or a low probability of that happening) and this way they can collect some money and delay having to add another foreclosure to their books.

Some people have been able to get their home loan modified after a BK, but it does seem rare and perhaps they will post their experience on this thread. I think if your father were to pursue that it would all depend on how much he owes, how much the house is worth, how much it will cost the bank to foreclose – basically what will be in it for the bank for them to grant it.

Comment

Originally posted by keepinitreal View Post
        If your parents are behind $40k on their payments for their primary house, and it's worth less than they owe, they should consider discontinuing any more mortgage payments.

The money they were paying for their mortgage could be saved up and later used to move to an affordable home, or it could be used to pay an attorney to file bankruptcy for them.

They should go for a couple of free consultations with bankruptcy attorneys and get advice on how they should proceed. Good luck to you and them!
        Well, I will call them and ask.
        Supposedly they were never behind as long as the "mortgage refinancing process" was ongoing but now that they were denied, they are behind?

I'd have to definitely found out about that but I would care more about whether or not they can keep their current primary residence.

Comment

angles' answer regarding the house applies to a Chap 7. In a Chap 13, the mortgage arrears would be included in a payment plan and the bank could not get a release from automatic stay in order to foreclose unless your parents did not make current mortgage payments.

It is true that to qualify for Chap 13 your parents would need to have enough disposible income to fund a plan that over 36-60 months will: (1) pay the mortgage arrears, if they inend to keep the house (2) pay any other debt securing property they want to keep (3) pay priority debt (unpaid taxes, for example) and (4) pay to unsecured creditors at least what they would receive in a Chapter 7 liquidation, (usually, the value of any non-exempt assets)
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by notme4ever View Post
            Well, I will call them and ask.
            Supposedly they were never behind as long as the "mortgage refinancing process" was ongoing but now that they were denied, they are behind?

I'd have to definitely found out about that but I would care more about whether or not they can keep their current primary residence.
            It sounds like the mortgage company agreed to a forebearance, which allowed yoru parents to make lower payments and still avoid foreclosure while the modification application was in process. Since they didn't get a modification, that $40k is now late.

To file a Chapter 7 and keep the house, they must bring the mortgage payments current and then keep them current.
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
              It sounds like the mortgage company agreed to a forebearance, which allowed yoru parents to make lower payments and still avoid foreclosure while the modification application was in process. Since they didn't get a modification, that $40k is now late.

To file a Chapter 7 and keep the house, they must bring the mortgage payments current and then keep them current.
              Thank you for the clarification and help.

I think that right now they're trying to bring that to current, and then think of chapter 7.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X