Need Dental Work question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Dental Work question

I am planning to file chapter 13 in October, but my wife and I both need dental work that is necessary (not cosmetic), and the work will cost $3000. Can I charge it to one of my credit cards? And, can I charge my wife's dental work on my credit card even though she is not filing? I want to make sure that there will not be any objections from the trustee since the work will be within the 90 days window. Thanks in advance

Originally posted by huffydogg View Post
    I am planning to file chapter 13 in October, but my wife and I both need dental work that is necessary (not cosmetic), and the work will cost $3000. Can I charge it to one of my credit cards? And, can I charge my wife's dental work on my credit card even though she is not filing? I want to make sure that there will not be any objections from the trustee since the work will be within the 90 days window. Thanks in advance
    When you know you are going to be filing for bankruptcy you are supposed to stop using your credit cards. Charging that large of an amount so close to filing will probably be cause for an objection by the creditor to the discharge of the debt. (The trustee doesn't object, the creditor does)

Talk to you dentist and ask if they will do a payment plan after you file. You can get written estimates from your dentist and include a monthly payment plan in your expenses as part of your medical expense during your Chapter 13.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Using your credit cards for large purchases/charges/cash advances, etc. knowing you are going to be filing bankruptcy is called fraud. You are going to be asked to provide information on all charges, purchases, advances, deposits, withdrawals, etc. over a certain amount (usually $500 to $1,000) for the past six months to one year (we were asked for one year). If you are insolvent (broke) now and file within the next six months, you can bet there will be issues. Talk with your attorney.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Defiantly not a good plan to use your credit cards when you intend to file. As other have said it is fraud and is a criminal offense. Find another means to take care of the dentist bill.

What would you do if you have filed and didn't have credit cards?
        Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
        Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll talk to my dentist to see if I can work something out with him.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
            When you know you are going to be filing for bankruptcy you are supposed to stop using your credit cards. Charging that large of an amount so close to filing will probably be cause for an objection by the creditor to the discharge of the debt. (The trustee doesn't object, the creditor does)

Talk to you dentist and ask if they will do a payment plan after you file. You can get written estimates from your dentist and include a monthly payment plan in your expenses as part of your medical expense during your Chapter 13.
            I think this sounds like an excellent alternative!! I hope your dentist will work with you. Good luck!
            I am NOT an attorney. This is NOT advice.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X