top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell creditors that you are filing BR or do you tell them to contact your attorney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell creditors that you are filing BR or do you tell them to contact your attorney?

Filing chapter 7 first of Dec, now 60 days behind on all cc payments and phone is ringing off the hook. I'm wanting to get 90 days since last cc charges behind me. I have retained an attorney.
    Question is : What do I tell the creditors 1-That I'm filing BR and to contact my attorney. 2 - Just tell them that I have retained an attorney and give the creditor the contact information.
    Thanks

2 - Just tell them that I have retained an attorney and give the creditor the contact information.
    Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
    Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
    Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Your attorney should have told you what to do. Answer the phone and provide each creditor with the name and contact information for your attorney and that you have retained an attorney. They will ask you for a filling number for your case and of course you will not have one yet. They can and will keep calling until you have the actual filing number so what we did is kept a log record by the phone as to what creditor was informed we retained our attorney and date and time of that call. If we received a duplicate call, we told them when they called previously and to please call our attorney for any information they needed and if they called again we would advise our attorney of the multiple calls after they were informed we retained an attorney.

The calls do stop eventually - it's just a matter of time.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

We are filing Nov 9th, but our attorney does not deal with any calls, told us to not tell the creditors we were filing under any circumstances. We have been doing the phone dance as well, but as noted in a previous post I gave up about a week ago and everything is going to voice mail for now as I just can't take it anymore, it was making me sick as I tried to keep up with the calls and pushiness every few days. Funny thing is the calls have slowed waaaay down this last week and we are over 60 days late on some cards and over thirty days late on the others, so I am sure they are up to something new now.

Except for Wells Fargo, they are calling me every 15 minutes today.

You may want to ask your attorney before you give out that information to see how they want it dealt with.
        Hired Attorney 8/28/10 Filed Chapter 7 11/08/10 341 12/14/2010 Report of NO DISTRIBUTION 12/15/2010 Waiting for February 14 2011, date objections due.
        DISCHARGED and CLOSED 2/15/2011

Comment

The calls 'burned out' my old ansering machine and I bought one at Goodwill for 6.99 which has the generic robo voice saying "Please leave a message after the tone'. It confuses them so much they mostly hang up. Best 6.99 I ever spent! Also, I turned my ringer off. Friends and family know they have to shout to get me to the phone - lol.

Comment

Best advice... don't answer the phone unless it's a number you know if your attorney won't take the calls (we take the calls for our clients while they are preparing to file in the firm I work for - one conversation with me and they never bother the clients again - and we have ppl who we have been stalling creditors for upwards of 1 1/2 years now)
            Any "suggestions" I offer are not to be deemed as legal advice, as I am not an attorney. "Suggestions" are offered solely based on my life experiences, education, and what I have observed in the work that I do.

Comment

I'd like to say thanks to the *&%$#ers who start calling at 8 am on the weekend. Bah. I called a bank that we have 4 accts with, cancelled all the auto payments set up with them, cs rep was nice as could be. I feel so much better, now I don't have to change banks or accts. Still, waiting til I get the moola for a down so I can refer collection reps to atty.

Comment

my only phone is a cell phone. I created a custom ringtone which was a couple seconds of nothing, created a phone book entry for the creditors and assign the nothing ring tone.
                They kept my vm box fairly full, but aside from initially getting the numbers in it this prevented me from having to listen to it ring "most" of the time.

Comment

I am filing Chapter 7 pro se, so have no attorney to run interference for me. And haven't been able to afford the $300 or get my papers together until recently. I should file next week.

I bought a prepaid phone with 60 days service for $30, just for creditors' calls. Changed my contact number to the new cell with all of my creditors BEFORE I stopped making payments. After almost 120 days I have only had about 6 calls to my home phone, the rest go to the new cell, which I either don't answer or leave turned off. Although I do try to speak with each creditor once a month, just so they don't try anything else. Seems to work! Definitely worth $15/month not to have to talk to them every day! LOL!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X