Getting a car loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a car loan

Are there going to be any options out there for getting a car loan with my Chapter 13 bankrupcy? I plan to file in a couple of weeks and will be in Chapter 13 for 3 years. The problem is that my car is a 1996 and is on it's last legs. I may be able to keep it running for another year but after that I will need some sort of option for transportation. My disposable income is only $150/month and I will be paying that for my Chapter 13. I may be hired permanantly at the temp job I am working at and it may bring a "bit" more money. Maybe enough for a small loan. I am talking maybe a $5000 car not a brand new one.

Logically, I know there isn't money for a car but I am wondering if the Bankrupcy court will allow you to purchase a car should your income increase rather than requiring that you add that amount to your disposable income. I have no idea if this is even allowed. I don't have a car loan now and my car is worth about $500 as it has a salvage title.

The car issue is one that has been haunting me for a few years now. I been throwing money at it trying to keep it alive *which is actually one of the reasons why I am in the position I'm in now!* Car breaks, can't pay credit cards...etc, etc.

I need to have transportation so I am just looking at if there are ANY options out there. There is the bus option but where I live the bus only comes 3 times in the morning and 3 times at night so while I can get to work there is no transportation to the grocery store, doctor etc...I really have no friends that would be willing to tote me around so I'm on my own here.

I don't know anyone that fixes cars so I am at the mercy of the auto mechanics which as a single woman is NOT a good place to be!

Having a car that you depend on that could break at any minute really has been more stressful than making the decision to file Chapter 13. The problem is with a different car may come a time when that breaks so then I have repairs AND a loan. Not sure I can keep this car running for the next 5 years though.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
    Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

What you need to do is discuss this with your Chapter 13 attorney now so you know what will or will not work for you. Once you file you will need Trustee permission to obtain a car loan and though it is difficult, but not impossible, to obtain a car loan during a Chapter 13, expect high interest/fee costs. Discuss fully with your attorney now...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thanks, I will do that. I think I will feel a little embarrassed bringing it up since I obviously can't pay my debts now.
      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
        Thanks, I will do that. I think I will feel a little embarrassed bringing it up since I obviously can't pay my debts now.
        Don't be embarrassed. A car is a necessity in most cities. BK attorneys have had this question asked weekly if not more often than that.
        Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
        I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X