Monthly Food Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monthly Food Bill

Just curious, how much do you spend on groceries a month and put on your current expenditures? And for how many people?

Also, do you include dining out in that expense? (I'm single, and eat lunch out each day as my dinner.)
    *** THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE--ONLY A LAWYER CAN PROVIDE THAT. ***

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

$1200/mo for 6 people is what we told the attny. We're allowed nearly $1300/mo on the Schedules.

The paralegal said eating out was not to be included in the monthly food budget. Eating out is part of "Entertainment". Which here, the Entertainment budget amount most attnys list is $100/mo max.
    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
    Discharged - 12/2006
    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

$1000 a month for a family of 6, not counting eating out although we don't eat out very often at all (less than once a month)... take a look at the IRS reasonable expenses chart. It'll tell you how much you're "allowed" to spend on food based on how much money you make and how many people in your household.
      Filed Ch. 7 Pro-Se: 10/12/06
      341: 11/6/06 (went AMAZINGLY well!)
      Discharge: 1/12/07
      Closed:1/19/07

Comment

We spend about $600 for a family of 3, one of which is a teenage boy.
        That includes nonfood items like tp, soap, and shampoo, not just food because I shop a lot of the time at a Grocery Outlet where I can buy all of that for much cheaper.

Comment

I forget exactly how much we are allowed; I think it is $800.00 for 4 people. We try to keep everything between $500.00-$550.00 per month. This also includes household products, but doesn't include eating out. We have two teenagers which makes it a little harder, but it is doable.
          Filed: 2/24/2006
          341 mtg: 4/4/2006:angel:
          Discharged: 9/25/08!!!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I found the allowable living expenses food costs for 1 in my salary range is $292. I was afraid it was going to be under $200 based on the other figures here.

(Cooking for one sucks! Besides the fact that I can't stand cooking anyways!)

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

Comment

I know what you mean anonymuse. I am in the same boat as you. I find that cooking actually cost me more money because in reality, you waste alot of food.
              Chapter 13 Filed 4/03/06 :blink: 341 Meeting Complete 5/11/06 :yes2:
              Plan Confirmation 6/16/06 :yahoo:
              Discharged: 1/5/2010 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I use Dream Dinners, its a chain place where you put together a months worth of meals in about 2 hours and then they are all fresh in the freezer to
                cook. This costs about $225 a month, but that is included in the $600 I spend that I mentioned above. I love it because I work fulltime and its so great to have a good healthy meal all ready to prepare with limited time and almost no mess. My husband said hes never eaten so good!
                Some people think its expensive, but I actually save money doing it because there is so little or no waste.

Comment

I put $400 for just me. Atty noted that I was a diabetic and required a special diet. Also increased my medical allowances because of this also.
                  They do make special allowances where needed. Good thing for me! It is so much more expensive to always have to buy the "good for you" foods!!
                  Filed: March 29, 2006
                  341: April 21, 2006
                  Discharged: June 28, 2006
                  Closed:July 18, 2006:yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping:

Comment

Originally posted by aa06a47
                    I know what you mean anonymuse. I am in the same boat as you. I find that cooking actually cost me more money because in reality, you waste alot of food.
                    So true. 99 cent salad and hamburger at Wendy's is still cheaper than bringing something into work. I guess I can "fudge" the dining out into the groceries expenses since I won't be claiming grocery expenses near the limit.

Comment

Originally posted by annikasaunt
                      It is so much more expensive to always have to buy the "good for you" foods!!
                      Now ain't that the truth! Top Ramen -- 12 for $1.00; Mac n Cheese -- 3 for $1.00. That's how I survived grad school.

Plus the "good for you" foods are fresh and don't last long--especially when you're only cooking for one.

Comment

13inOR,

I looked up Dream Dinners. I should have known we wouldn't have any of those near us. We live in the Southeast. Yep, it's black-eyed peas, turnip greens seasoned with neckbones, and cornbread for us! Not very healthy, but it's cheap and tastes so good!!! Nothing like good ol' soul food!

Comment

Jane, sometimes in the south they have other variations though. I know theres several. One is My Girlfriends Kitchen, theres also one called Dinners Done Right. Same basic concept though.

I could not live without it right now! It helps out so much when you work fulltime. Plus they are gourmet type dishes you would probably never try otherwise.

Comment

I will check that out. I have at least a 35 minute commute and work late one evening. Something like that would be awesome. I hate to waste food, too, and the kids aren't too good about eating leftovers. My husband will eat anything not nailed to the floor and has never minded taking his lunch to work.

Comment

I hope you find one, they are so awesome.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X