What state to file in & homestead exemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What state to file in & homestead exemption

I am confused. I've been planning on filing BK for the past 3 years in order to get rid of some business debt (credit cards secured by a personal guarantee) after our small store went bankrupt in Idaho. Here is where I'm confused...do I file in ID or UT?

We have owned a house in Idaho and occupied it for four years. We moved out three years ago due to the closure of the business. We found tenants and have rented the house for the past three years, however we are underwater on it as a rental. We moved to Utah almost three years ago. So we are renting in Utah paying a much higher rent then our mortgage in Idaho. We are taking money out of hubby's paycheck in order to keep the house in Idaho afloat. We want to move back there, but until hubby can find work there we can't. We don't want to lose the house.

Here is what the law says regarding exemption in ID:

"In Idaho the homestead exemption applies to real property, including your home, condominium, or a mobile home. You can exempt up to $100,000 in equity from your home. You don’t have to occupy the property to claim the exemption. However, if you don’t occupy the property, you have to record a homestead declaration before you can take advantage of the homestead exemption."

In Utah the exemption is only $20K. Since the house in ID, doesn't seem we would use the exemption for Utah.

Does this make sense to anyone?

I appreciate any insight.

It appears you have “abandoned” the homestead by moving to Utah and living there the past 3 years. Under bk law you cannot use Idaho's exemptions as you have been domiciled in Utah for more than 2 years. Even if you move back to Idaho and move into the property you would not be using Idaho's exemptions unless you wait 2 years to file. As it sits right now you are stuck with Utah's exemptions and it appears that the Utah homestead exemption cannot be used for out-of-state property.

You need to sit down with a well qualified attny to discuss your options.

Des.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X