top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just finished filling out all the paperwork provided by Lawyer..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished filling out all the paperwork provided by Lawyer..

Finished all the paperwork my lawyer gave me and handed in the other day, was a daunting task to say the least, worst than doing taxes in my opinion since everything was on paper, nothing like doing TurboTax. I must have printed out and made copies of documents numbering in the 500 to 1000 page range, since I went through nearly two packs of paper (500 pages per pack) and a new ink cartridge for my copier. Does this sound normal in your experience? Would have been so much easier and cleaner to do if it was electronic, maybe my Lawyer works this way for reason?

I could not provide 6 years of credit card statements (which was requested but did not say required), also one of my creditors which I had an account with that I closed a few years ago, removed my account access after my card went to collections, so I could not go online to get any statements. I save my statements but not back that far and I just tossed some last year going back farther. So I am not sure how that will slow down the process?

As I mentioned before I found the whole personal property thing confusing, a few sheets were provided, which was a straight out Schedule B to tally up property, but it did not leave room for a lot of items. I tried to list the big stuff, TV, furniture and etc, but stuff like a potted plant, area rug and etc was grouped together or just not detailed down to specifics. I do not know if I'll be "audited", I really do not care and welcome someone to do it. I have no antiques, book or coin collections or fine art so I think our possessions are quite average.

I am sure there will be lot's of questions, was told it could take up to a month or so till they go through everything and have me come in for a review before filing.

Wow. My petition was about 75-100 pages. That's a lot of paper. Why would you need 6 years ot credit card statements? I do not know why anyone would request more than 2 years of anything.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

OMG, 6 years of statements???? They must be joking. I wonder if they ever actually get that. That's just... preposterous. You'd have to be a serious hoarder to have all of that.
      Regardless... congrats on getting thru this hurdle and wishing you an easy ride from here on!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Now I remember! I think they say that the first rule of discovery... is to bury them in PAPER!
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I had to make a lot of copies, print statements and additional sheets of information that I could not write in the spaces provided. Everything had to be carried into the lawyer's office in a small banker's box, just too much paper!

I then realized when I left that I forgot to add somethings to my personal property list, hope I can list these later, Music CDs and some DVDs, I am sure I'll be called in for a review and sign off.

Has anyone been audited for personal property?

I hate to admit it but for the amount of credit card debt my Wife and I amassed, we do not have a lot of personal effects to show for it, most of it is up in smoke in car repairs, groceries and intangibles.

Comment

Florida is notorious for Trustees that send "appraisers" to your home. I hope that you didn't list every single item in your home! The property sheet should be in major categories, like appliances, tv/radio, media (all books/magazines/cds/dvd/etc), clothing (all clothing), and miscellaneous (like kitchen silverware, plates, etc). Having wrote that, listing it at that level can actually be beneficial as some Trustees will say that it is so detailed, they don't question the list.

Best wishes on your case!

Comment

Originally posted by ccmisery View Post
              Has anyone been audited for personal property?
              They're not going to come to your house and go through your DVD's. Don't lose sleep over it. Just mention it to your attorney at your next appointment. It really isn't a big deal.
              Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
              Discharged! June 28, 2012
              CLOSED!!! August 8, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                Florida is notorious for Trustees that send "appraisers" to your home. I hope that you didn't list every single item in your home! The property sheet should be in major categories, like appliances, tv/radio, media (all books/magazines/cds/dvd/etc), clothing (all clothing), and miscellaneous (like kitchen silverware, plates, etc). Having wrote that, listing it at that level can actually be beneficial as some Trustees will say that it is so detailed, they don't question the list.

Good point. Listen to JB. He lives in Florida.
                CLOSED!!! August 8, 2012

Comment

I think you will be okay regardless. Your attorney may amend the petition if it is significant (and doesn't fit within the exemptions).

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post

I am actually in Florida and will be filing in the Southern District, so if they come and tally up things to more than I listed, do I have to be concerned about it being dismissed? I am trying to be as honest as I can.

No, I did not list everything, though at one point I was getting confused on how to describe items that really had no category. I left a lot of misc stuff off, just listed household items for some. It said books, but it was grouped in with antiques, art and coin collections, none of which I have so I did not list some cookbooks and a few books I own that are not worth much of anything.
                    Last edited by ccmisery; 04-01-2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm View Post
                      They're not going to come to your house and go through your DVD's. Don't lose sleep over it. Just mention it to your attorney at your next appointment. It really isn't a big deal.
                      They can go through them if they want, no Dave Ramsey DVD Home Study Kits in my collection which would be a good way to break the ice.

Comment

We were told to list only categories of things, such as 'miscellaneous kitchen utencils', 'assorted pots and pans', 'assorted used books and dvd'--stuff like that. Which was merciful, because I tend to be so detail oriented that I would have done myself in with 'the Tromantina paring knife with broken tip' before I got everything listed.

Good luck to you!

PS: We mostly hear stories about this area or that area of Florida Middle District. I can't recall right now hearing/reading anything of the Southern District
                        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Your case would not be dismissed should the (greedy) Trustee decide to send an appraiser. They will just change the numbers and try to get you to buy your stuff back. (Yes, they do this!) As Mrs. Cat writes, I don't think I've ever read about the Southern District of Florida sending appraisers. It's the one in the "Middle" that seems to send the appraiser.

HOWEVER, with the recent ruling, the Florida Supreme Court (2/2011) ruled that Florida bankruptcy debtors get to use the Homestead Exemption found in the Florida Constitution (Article X Sec. 4) as a wildcard should they not claim the homestead exemption in the bankruptcy. That jumped the wildcard from $1,000 (per debtor) to $5,000 (per debtor). (The homestead exemption was $4,000!)

This extra money made it less likely that a Trustee would send an appraiser to the property. Prior to this ruling, it was quite simple. If you had a home and filed bankruptcy, then you did not get the $4,000 exemption. You had only $1,000 to cover ALL of your non-vehicle property. You can see how it would be quite easy for almost everyone to go over that amount! Especially if you're living in a 2,000 sq ft. + home!

Comment

Be sure to list the new wheelbarrow you purchased to haul around your petition.

Comment

Originally posted by btbeme View Post
                              Be sure to list the new wheelbarrow you purchased to haul around your petition.

AAAHahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!
                              CLOSED!!! August 8, 2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X