top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Card number changed due to attempted charges, balance transferred.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Card number changed due to attempted charges, balance transferred.

Hi all,

I recently had someone attempt to make fraudulent charges on one of my credit cards (like a hotel in New Jersey for $1500??), but fortunately the bank held them and called me when they saw them. They then closed the credit card account and transferred my balance to a new account to make sure that whoever had my card couldn't continue their attempts to use it. However, for the new card it shows as a really high balance transfer, which I know you're supposed to avoid prior to filing.

Will this make a difference, or will whoever looks at my case be able to see that there was a balance transfer that occurred from one card to the other due to the account being closed and re-opened and that the debt isn't really "new" in any sense?

No, it won't be a problem. The reason a balance transfer shortly before filing is a problem is that the creditor to whom you transferred the balance could petition to have the debt declared non-dischargeable. This isn't new debt and the credit card company knows it. If they tried to have it declared non dischargeable they'd be laughed out of court.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

No, this not a problem at all. If asked, simply explain what happened and what you did to handle it. Keep and make prints of any and all paperwork regarding this.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X