Not able to build emergency fund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not able to build emergency fund

Man this sucks. We are 47 months into a 60 and just can't seem to keep any money.
    Accumulate some savings - need tires.
    save - need brakes
    save - need brakes on other vehicle
    save - doctor bills
    save - home repairs
    save - hospital bills
    now save - need whole new AC for house at $6,000. We don't have $6,000 so we are not sure what
    to do at this point.

At least we are starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. Looks kind of like a match behind limo tint though.

At least you still have a sense of humor... Remember the old days when those emergencies meant pulling out the plastic? The good news is that even though you are not creating a mountain of savings, you're not creating a crater of debt either. You're almost there! I envy you! Just 13 more months and it will be over! Keep looking forward to the upcoming hamster dance!

Best wishes.. you're gonna make it!
    Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
    Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

It's def good to come here to vent.
      But look on the bright side... at least you were able to buy the tires, etc. With cash!!!
      AND you can buy room a/c's for 100 bucks nowadays. That's what I would do to get thru your last summer. Cheaper to only cool the rooms you need to cool...I think.
      You can sell them next summer when you're done with your plan.

Stay positive and hang in there. Your fresh start is almost here!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Lee, we are right there with you, 11 mos. into a 3 yr. plan. As most know here, our dog passed away quite unexpectedly last 09/11 the night before our 341 Meeting.
        Thanksgiving weekend our heating/air died and we had to get a new system.
        2 mos. ago, the garage door opener died.
        Yesterday the brakes, rotors, & something else went in the 10 yr. old car.

Every time we put a little away it goes. But, would this have happened if we did not file for BK. Of course it would, the only difference, we would have put it on a CC. Now, we know we can't. Yes, it sucks not having any money, but the reality is that we didn't have any money before, we had a heck of a lot of credit and more cc bills.

It will get better and you are almost there. You will be helping others on this great Forum in a short time by your experiences. Wishing you the best of luck. sammie
        Plan Completed 10 months early 09/24/2014 Discharged 11/04/2014

Filed Ch 13 Aug. 2012 341 Meeting 09/12/2012 Confirmed 10/23/2012

Comment

Yep. A/C in the house went out the first day we turned it on this year. $3,000 for a new unit. Got two window units for $110 each until we can save enough to buy the central unit.

Also have a 10yr old car that is becoming a money pit. Needs tires and brakes to pass inspection in 2 more months to the tune of $600. A/C went out on it last year and will cost about $800 to fix.

Wife had a surgical procedure in March and we are still getting bills in for that. So far have paid out over $1,000.

Always something. That's life! Just feels good to pay everything in cash.

ONE MORE YEAR! ONE MORE YEAR!
          Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Hi, lol...life has a way of testing you at every turn right? think every one of us on here has experienced something similar and you either laugh or you cry (or both!) but you figure it out and move on. Buy the window units until you are in a better position to "fix" the main unit. We had a couple of these kinds of incidents and that was when we decided to sell the house we had discharged in a chp 7. We decided that renting a townhouse would be not only cheaper than the mtg payment (we were doing a stay and pay) but also when something "big" happens to the home we call the landlord. Has worked wonderfully, we have a very nice place and a pool with tennis courts (something we did not have with our house)!!! Was it easy? Absolutely not, ended up selling as a short sale. But I will tell you that the burden has lifted two fold, we feel like we are on vacation every weekend at the pool and we HAVE money in the bank now!!!! Sometimes you do what you have to do but the peace is priceless. Good Luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drazil65 View Post
              Hi, lol...life has a way of testing you at every turn right? think every one of us on here has experienced something similar and you either laugh or you cry (or both!) but you figure it out and move on. Buy the window units until you are in a better position to "fix" the main unit. We had a couple of these kinds of incidents and that was when we decided to sell the house we had discharged in a chp 7. We decided that renting a townhouse would be not only cheaper than the mtg payment (we were doing a stay and pay) but also when something "big" happens to the home we call the landlord. Has worked wonderfully, we have a very nice place and a pool with tennis courts (something we did not have with our house)!!! Was it easy? Absolutely not, ended up selling as a short sale. But I will tell you that the burden has lifted two fold, we feel like we are on vacation every weekend at the pool and we HAVE money in the bank now!!!! Sometimes you do what you have to do but the peace is priceless. Good Luck!!!

My Hubby has also been getting more vocal about selling this old place and getting out from under the heating bills and renting he is so done with everytime we turn around something else needs fixed.

Comment

Thanks for all the support. I really doubt we could get away with the window unit solution due to the HOA.
                Window units are forbidden in the covenants.
                I am currently getting estimates. Hopefully a family member is going to help out with this.

Comment

i think while we are all continuously throughout our lifetimes experience these ups and downs. we find that it's everyone that has to deal with all of this. that's what life is. the difference between a happy life and a not so happy one is the way we approach our problems. it's NOT like next doors A/C didn't go, it's just the A/C went and that's that, such is life. if you takes that exact same situation and put it in another home, the reactions may be completely different, one of panic and fear, yelling and despair. the A/C will eventually go for everyone, unless you live in a climate that doesn't require it, but then there is ALWAYS something. again, to me , and maybe it's just me, it's the way we handle or the approach one life's problems which has a direct effect on how one views or rates/feels their own personal happiness.

my mom always use to say IT'S ONLY MONEY! ( i use to think easy for you to say you have it), this year, for us especially, we learned just how true that is! if a real tragedy hits you, you'd know it, and realize just how unimportant this really all is with respect to true scheme of things.
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by lee307 View Post
                    Thanks for all the support. I really doubt we could get away with the window unit solution due to the HOA.
                    Window units are forbidden in the covenants.
                    I am currently getting estimates. Hopefully a family member is going to help out with this.
                    oh carp.
                    what about those portable units?

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Yah, I'm looking at having to buy a new battery, and at least two tires and a rear-end alignment. (Yes, you read that right)
                      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Like keepsmiling suggested - portable air conditioning units only require that an exhaust hose be routed to a discreet window fixture. That fixture need not even be plainly visible by keeping it behind the closed screen.

Comment

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in the same boat with aging cars and house that I just keep having to turn wrenches on. I hate to, but am glad I can do many things myself or with the help of friends. Gotta love Youtube and other forums for the guidance. I start to work on a savings as many here do and end up using it for repairs on cars, house, medical, and well the list just keeps going. Just glad I am not adding to the debt and my net worth has been creeping up toward zero every day. The house is still under water, but is quickly moving along.

One of my biggest challenges is that my wife does not seem as determined as I am. I see the end result and she focusses on where we stand today, but I to am guilty of needing a vent here and there. We all deal with it differently, as stated earlier, so I keep that in mind and just keep sharing how much better the month could be if we were done with the BK13.

I have learned or gained some traits while in our 13. Patience, diligence, setting pride aside and asking for help from friends and family, flexibility and openness, and I am sure there are more that I have not realized.

Keep the course and we can all celebrate together.
                          11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Fortunately, 'Hub is 'handy' as well. The both of us changed the N92 solenoid on his 2004 VW Jetta wagon last year... Saved about 3K for a rebuilt transmission. VW replaces them instead of fixing them.
                            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

yes, my dh and i use to do absolutely everything, from wiring a house to building a brick wall. now, unfortunately, physically, we can't do it kills us both financially and actually not good that just can't use the old bodies the way we use to. it saved us so much money plus we actually enjoyed it. i remember in college when our trans went on our car, we just got another from a junk yard and put it in.

we were somewhat glad to get rid of a 30 year old plus house, even tho we replaced almost everything. we couldn't afford to put central A/C even when working since it was way to expensive to do something like over 20k. no way. we used window units in that house and those also did damage to the inside walls etc. this time when we got a home it was just about new and while lacking character, and warmth, it was more practical for us since it would or should require less repairs. that's basically my point about buying a new car as opposed to a used one. it seems like no matter which way you do it, it's a lose lose.
                              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X