top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a credit card to travel for work dilemma.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a credit card to travel for work dilemma.

I have been told at my new job that I may need to travel shortly, like in a few months. I have a debit card, but no more credit cards of course. My company will cover everything except car rental and food expenses up front, so I have thought about using taxi's or mass transit in places where I can since renting a car with a debit card and bad credit is often a big hurdle and I do not want to have a lot of money tied up on my debit card. I only know that National and Alamo are debit card friendly and do not charge your card for excessive holds, but still run credit reports and I am very concerned about this.

So, how long till I can start rebuilding my credit, say with a secured credit card? How long do I have to wait to apply, after discharge that is since I know it's pointless now.

CC, do a search fo car rentals on here. There have been a number of threads on how people get through this until discharge.

You are so close to DC, and as I recall have possible asset issues. I wouldn't do anything to possibly rock the boat. Maybe the travel won't come up until you are DC'd, but put something aside to cover it just in case. If it doesn't come up until after DC, you can use that money for a secured card. The day after DC, you can apply for a secured card. Your credit won't be too good until a month or two after, and some post-BK CR cleanup, but you should be able to get a secured card. Many of us have been able to get an unsecured card with Capital One a month or two after DC. Limits are low, but it's a start. There is credit life after BK.

Comment

I was hoping to be free of credit cards for good, but it looks like my job places me in a difficult predicament with travel and car rental. Also if I have to go international.

I am hoping I do not need to travel until after discharge, I will wait till after to pursue either a secured or unsecured cc, I successfully used my debit card with Alamo prior to filing, but not since. They do not pull that $500 deposit with debit cards and credit checks like Hertz and the others, National is also the same company as Alamo and seems to be okay.

Maybe to rebuild credit I will pursue this after discharge, but I do not want to fall victim to them again ever, credit cards that is.

Comment

When you do get one for business, discipline yourself to not use it except for business. Don't even carry it in your wallet unless traveling.

Comment

I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but there is no way I will ever again use a personal credit card for the purpose of business. I used to do it prior to my BK when the company I work for was much much smaller and privately owned. We are now part of a multi-billion dollar global company and I refuse to loan the company the cash to pay for my trips. The company has a much larger cash flow than I do and can better afford to front the expenses than I can.

Unless you are in a position to have a vested interest in the company, I would reconsider using a personal credit card for business, and if they truly require you to travel then they can provide the means of paying for said travel from their own funds.

Comment

They cover everything typically, air travel and hotels prepaid, but even then you have to use your personal card to cover checked-in bags and incidentals at hotels.

Car rentals they cannot do prepaid and this leaves me with little options. I know about these companies and the amount of cash flow they have, cannot give employees company credit cards, some do but there seems to be a decline of this lately. I never had a corporate card for business related expenses. All I can do is ask for a cash advance and use my debit card.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmisery View Post
              They cover everything typically, air travel and hotels prepaid, but even then you have to use your personal card to cover checked-in bags and incidentals at hotels.

Car rentals they cannot do prepaid and this leaves me with little options. I know about these companies and the amount of cash flow they have, cannot give employees company credit cards, some do but there seems to be a decline of this lately. I never had a corporate card for business related expenses. All I can do is ask for a cash advance and use my debit card.
              Do you mean they do not let you prepay, or that they do not take prepaid cards? Those prepaid cards you can load at your local cash shack seem to do the trick with hotels and other credit card-like transactions. Not sure about car rental companies.
              Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

I have used a debit card (branded MasterCard) for company travel for 3 years while in Chapter 13 and post Chapter 7. I had absolutely zero problems renting cars and staying at hotels, ever. I made sure I used the same rental company (Hertz) and I was and continue to be a member of their #1 Gold Program. No issues at all. (Hertz does not perform a $500 deposit. Hertz does hold $200 above the estimated rental total. Hertz has never run a credit check on me while renting with a debit card. I believe my membership in the #1 Gold Program is what avoids the check. Every rental company is at least going to hold the estimated rental total. I will say good things about National in that they only hold the estimated rental total.)

The only problem is carrying the travel expense on with your personal cash until it is reimbursed.
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I would stand by your conviction of NOT using a credit card. IMO if the company hires and requires travel, then they should provide ALL expenses paid, to include a company credit card just for that purpose. If they reimburse you for your own personal credit usage, then they should be able to provide a credit line themselves.

Is there any way you can politely tell them you do not use credit cards due to (insert whatever reason here, i.e. identity theft, BK, personal preference, etc) ??

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                    I would stand by your conviction of NOT using a credit card. IMO if the company hires and requires travel, then they should provide ALL expenses paid, to include a company credit card just for that purpose. If they reimburse you for your own personal credit usage, then they should be able to provide a credit line themselves.

Is there any way you can politely tell them you do not use credit cards due to (insert whatever reason here, i.e. identity theft, BK, personal preference, etc) ??
                    Unfortunately that is not possible with some employers. My wife has the exact same problem. All expenses for travel must be paid in full, up front, and are reimbursed by the employer. Must have reliable transportation and furnish her own $$$ for the trip until the expenses are reviewed and approved for reimbursement. The employer pretty much always has the upper hand in these situations.

Add: she is also terrified to tell her employer she 'can't' do anything, or tell them about our BK.
                    Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

I did not tell my employer. Traveling is a condition of employment. There was no need to rock the boat and I had to save bit of money, during my Chapter 13, so that I could have a $3K travel budget for my debit card. Even with my income and well-drafted Chapter 13 Plan (thanks to my attorney.... me) keeping a $3K buffer in my account at all times was pretty difficult.
                      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X