How long to wait for attorney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to wait for attorney?

I tried to find a topic like this but I didn't, so please forgive me if there is one already (and maybe a link? )

I just turned in my paperwork yesterday for my Ch 7, along with the full amount of fees. I tend towards anxiety and impatience and I just want things to be DONE and OVER WITH, so what is a reasonable amount of time to wait until the attorney gets back to me and/or my case is filed? A week? 2? A month? Does it just depend on the complexity of the case and the workload of the attorney and staff? I want to get some sort of idea as to how long I should give it before having my official panic attack and being a nuisance :-)

Thanks for info!

Originally posted by Spaghetti42 View Post
    so what is a reasonable amount of time to wait until the attorney gets back to me and/or my case is filed? A week? 2? A month? Does it just depend on the complexity of the case and the workload of the attorney and staff?
    Yes.

I want to get some sort of idea as to how long I should give it before having my official panic attack and being a nuisance :-)
    Call your attorney and ask when they expect to have a draft of your petition ready. That's the only way to know what to expect.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I will do that, thank you!

Comment

I tried to find a topic like this but I didn't, so please forgive me if there is one already (and maybe a link? )

I just turned in my paperwork yesterday for my Ch 7, along with the full amount of fees. I tend towards anxiety and impatience and I just want things to be DONE and OVER WITH, so what is a reasonable amount of time to wait until the attorney gets back to me and/or my case is filed? A week? 2? A month? Does it just depend on the complexity of the case and the workload of the attorney and staff? I want to get some sort of idea as to how long I should give it before having my official panic attack and being a nuisance :-)

Thanks for info!
        Ours was also a chapter 7. After we turned in all the required paperwork, returned to the attorneys office about a week later. At that time we were presented with a copy of the proposed bankruptcy petition to look over & review prior to actually sitting down with the attorney. Petition was 54 pages, spent about 20 minutes in outer office looking it over. Once that was done, we sat down with the attorney & he went over it with us reviewing the information. Tweaked a couple of entries & that was that, over & done. Petition was filed with the bankruptcy court 3 days later.

Even though we took our time reviewing the petition in the outer office, never having seen an actual petition , 54 pages of unfamiliar documents to look over & understand is difficult at best, you simply can not absorb it all. At home, reviewing our copy of the petition over the next few days, we discovered a couple things that were incorrect, nothing major but felt needed to be changed. Contacted the attorney, he agreed, filed an amendment to the petition ahead of the scheduled 341 Meeting. No mention or issues with the amendment from the trustee at the 341, discharged 60 days later, case closed 30 days after.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X