top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Repo Men looking for car during BK; moving to a new address! But will they know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Repo Men looking for car during BK; moving to a new address! But will they know?

Long Story short,

Two years ago, I got a bank loan so I could consolidate all of my debt to one account; I used my used up car as collateral. So I ended getting 7 grand loan.

Fast forward to now: When things got bad and I fell behind on everything, including the loan payments, I considered bankruptcy. Then I REALLY considered bankruptcy when the repo men were looking for my car one Sunday morning this past March. Keep in mind I haven't paid the loan in 4-5 months.

When that happened, I had to save up money for a bankruptcy lawyer, and that took a few weeks. And I don't know if the repo men were just too easy going or had bigger fish to fry, but I managed to successfully hide my car..by parking LITTERALLY a block away from my house. Maybe I got lucky.

So I filed for bankruptcy in early April and my initial plan was, when everything is in the clear in 2-3 months, I can save up money for a new (used) car, and give up my current one by June or July. Then just a day ago the bank filed a motion with the court to get permission to proceed with the repo, barely weeks after I declared for bankruptcy. My lawyer told me that he's never seen such a fast and aggressive move.

So instead of 3 months, I got like mere weeks before the repo men starts looking for my car again, and I may not be so lucky this time around.

My question is this: I'm moving to the big city to live with a buddy of mine. And the apartment won't be under my name. I also pay whatever bills I have via online. If I don't notify the DMV or any government insistutions right away, will that buy me some time? I just to save up till June, THEN I can give up the car.

I know it's inevitable that I'll give up the car. I just need another month.

BTW, I 'hid' my car for three and a half weeks straight with no repo-men in sight. When they do come a-knocking, usually on the weekend it seems, it's usually when I'm not home (I work FAR from my house btw, with weird unpredictable hours). And my roommates would play dumb.

Though I have a feeling that, with this rapid court filing, my bank initially played nice by hiring same tame repo people at first, and they may go for the more aggressive ones for the next round...

Comment

I'm sure moving will buy you some time. What big city are you moving to? Maybe you won't need a car.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Let's say it's a city where cars is the culture.......LA!

I kinda need one. I mean they're trying to create a better transportation system but they're like, building around the city's layout, which makes it an awkward deal, vs. New York, DC, etc.

Comment

Yep, you pretty much need a car in LA. If it were San Francisco, then I'd tell you that a car is more trouble than it's worth.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X