Board certified attorneys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Board certified attorneys

I've notified that the majority of the bankruptcy attorneys in my area are not board certified. Is that a problem?

Should I look for one who is board certified, even if they are a bit far away?

What are the main differences between going with a board certified attorney vs. one who is not?

Thank you!

Not a problem. In my State, being "board certified" just means that the fees paid to the State Bar are twice what they are for others and the attorney is required to spend more money on continuing legal education classes. Being so certified, IMHO, does not give the attorney any additional benefit and just costs too much.

In Arizona the general requirements for Board Certification are

An attorney must:

•Be licensed to practice law for at least five years (seven years for criminal and real estate certification);
    •Be licensed in Arizona for at least two or three years;
    •Devote the equivalent of 50% to 70% of a full-time law practice in the specialty field;
    •Handle a specific number of cases in the specialty field;
    •Demonstrate integrity, professionalism and a high degree of competence in the specialty field;
    •Receive favorable peer review from attorneys, judges and other professionals in the specialty field; and
    •Pass a written examination.

With the exception of a written exam (no thank you) there is nothing required that has any substance except having experience as a bk attny which, as a consumer, you should be looking for. Nope, just not worth the extra cost to become board certified.

Des

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X