Where to begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to begin?

My mother passed away suddenly in November o f 2013 she was 70 14 years younger then my father. This left my father at age 84 with a mortgage that they were upside down on and a home to big for h I'm.to take care of. I live in a different state them him and went home to see him in May. When I got there things weren't good he wasn't taking care of him self and had been being scammed
    Med by Jamaicans for several months. I MET with their lawyer and took POA I froze his bank accounts which he was overdrawn on and would be until the 1 st of June when he receives his.pension check and social security. These scammers had him taking cash advances on his credit cards and running most up over their limits. I decided to pack my Dad up and put him in an assisted living in my state close to me. I haven't paid his mortgage and am thinking about letting it go into foreclosue. Also I haven't paid his credit cards as he doesn't have enough income to cover those debts. Should I get a bankruptcy lawyer?

You father is probably "collection proof". That means, creditors could start lawsuits and maybe even obtain judgments, but they could never collect anything. If there are no assets and all income is traceable to retirement funds, a collector with a judgment would have an otherwise worthless judgment making the debt non-collectible.

You can consult with a few bankruptcy attorneys to get their feel. They should be asking similar questions about income, assets, and collect-ability.

I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sure you father is feeling the lost of his companion as well. Take care of him first, worry about the creditors later.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I agree with just broke take care of your Dad the creditors can just wait.

Comment

Aww. How awesome of you, I have been there before myself. If it is one thing that gets me going BAD it is exploiting the elderly. Omg. I hope those who scammed get the full impact of our justice system. Ugh

Other than that I agree with the above as well. Sort out his finances, speak with a few BK attorneys and see what options you have. You may find you need to do nothing as well.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X