Tips on filing bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on filing bankruptcy

For personal reasons/family emergency, I've moved from the U.S. to a country where the currency is about 1/4 of the value of the dollar. Now, to be able to pay my credit card bills, I'd need to produce nearly a fortune so it came in place the idea of filling for bankruptcy in the state of New Jersey. Should I stop paying my cards before filling bankruptcy papers? I'm currently maintaining my NJ address but can I file while residing abroad?
    Thank you.

11 U.S. Code ยง 109 - Who may be a debtor
    (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, only a person that resides or has a domicile, a place of business, or property in the United States, or a municipality, may be a debtor under this title.

If you don't have property or a business in the U.S., you'll need to talk to an attorney to determine whether you have a domicile in the U.S.

If you do file, you will have to come the the U.S. for your 341 meeting.

If you know you will file BK, you should probably stop paying your credit card bills.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Be so nice to run away to another country..I'm game lol

Comment

Originally posted by didi768 View Post
        Be so nice to run away to another country..I'm game lol
        didi - How many times to you need to be asked not to open old threads? Please READ THE RULES and conduct yourself accordingly.
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X