Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Please

Yesterday, I recieved a letter from one of my credit cards that was discharged in my BK that included a check for under $50.

The letter states:

"The enclosed check is being sent to you because you are either a current or former holder of a credit card issued by XXXX Bank. The enclosed check represents the application to your account of a refund of an overlimit fee that was previously charged to your account, plus interest. The bank has agreed to make this payment to you as part of a settlement with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. The payment to your account resulted in a credit balance in the amount of the enclosed check. Please cash or deposit this check within 360 days from the date this check was issued or it will no longer be valid."

So, my question is this: Is it okay to cash this check?

I was just going to play it safe, destroy the check and forget all about it, it's not a large amount I'm being refunded...but I had unexpected surgery on Saturday and had to pay my entire insurance deductible and have no money for the next week...so this would help pick up a few necessities at the grocery store.

As you can see from my signature line, my BK has been discharged and closed...and I was just worried that this would somehow "reaffirm" the debt by cashing the check, although I see no "fine print" on the letter or check to suggest anything like that.

Thanks,

~JAG
    Chapter 7 - Pro Se
    Filed: 08/10/09 --- 341 Meeting: 09/08/09
    Last Day for Objections: 11/09/09
    Discharged and Closed: 11/12/09

Sounds fine. Maybe you could go to the FDIC website and see if the bank has, in fact, entered a settlement with your bank.

On the face of it, I see no problem with cashing the check. I get these things periodically from banks, old mutual funds I used to own, etc, based on administrative actions by various regulatory agencies, FDIC, SEC, etc.

Comment

I just received one, but mine was only for $1.97. It's sitting on my desk.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks HHM and JB for your replies.

Even though it is not much, that refund will buy some food until I get paid next week...but it is definitely more than $1.97...LOL

~JAG
        Chapter 7 - Pro Se
        Filed: 08/10/09 --- 341 Meeting: 09/08/09
        Last Day for Objections: 11/09/09
        Discharged and Closed: 11/12/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X