No Sticky "timeline" or forms here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sticky "timeline" or forms here?

I was hoping to find a sticky here with the list of forms needed and what order to complete, file...etc....

I know that each state is different but does anyone know of such a post or site?

I feel pretty confident that I could do this myself and save $1800 by doing so. The (reputable) attorneys I've been speaking to want $1299 + $299 filing fees. plus another $300 because I'm the sole member/manager of an LLC I need to protect. Should I become overwhelmed I'll just "pay the man".

Just don't know where to get started and in what order.

Trustee: So, you're broke?
    Me: That's correct.
    Trustee: Where did the money for filing your bankruptcy come from?

Anyone else see the irony here? Seems like it costs a lot to say you're broke.

Because many Districts have specific forms -- known as "local" forms -- and because the forms may change (and have as recently as last year), it's best to get the Official Forms from the [URL="http://www.uscourts.gov/FormsAndFees/Forms/BankruptcyForms.aspx"]Official Site[/QUOTE]. Additionally, any pro se filer is well advised to check the local District website for information on local forms. Even more important, the pro se filer should also contact the Office of the Clerk of the Court to find out if there are specific local forms that are needed, as even the websites are sometimes not up to date! (I learned this the hard way).

Additionally, you should always file the petition in person. This gives you the opportunity to meet the Intake Clerks in the Clerk's Office, and they'll quickly "hand check" the petition. If any "local forms" or required forms are missing, they'll tell you on the spot!

As to whether you should file alone... based on what you stated, I advise against filing pro se. The reason is that you just stated that you want to "protect" a sole-member LLC! There is almost no way to protect a single-member LLC since the Trustee is allowed to step in your shoes and act with all the power of attorney, as you. Do not make this mistake. If you really have assets to protect, you really need to be speaking with an asset protection and/or bankruptcy attorney that does non-consumer (or business related) petitions. Don't be a statistic.

I personally only recommend pro se for individuals with no assets and no business.

As to your joke... everyone in the know... knows that you stop paying your unsecured creditors and that's where the money comes from.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

And with the additional know-how/paperwork concerning the LLC, the price you were quoted sounds like a deal to me...

Comment

$1,800 is a deal, assuming the representation is actually full service (which it probably isn't).

The bankruptcy system does not care how you paid for the attorney.

Here is the thing, when you say, "I need to protect" that creates issues in your case. Most people with complex cases file pro se out of bravado and stupidity and the BK ends up costing more than if they hired an attorney in the first place. If the case is simple, sure, you can "try" to file on your own, but BK is more than just filing out forms.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X